Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1191

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

In the last couple of weeks:
- replaced wiper blades, lubed pivots
- replaced end caps and brackets and hardware on ATSDesign Edge steps (great support from ATS!)
- brushed off rust and primed and coated rusty bits on body seam where step brackets fit
- replaced corroded chassis-body ground strap on RHS

(edit) got tires rebalanced. They found two large dents on the edge of the front hubs that was looking like it had been jacked up by the hub edge? Weird, anyway ground it down so the wheels sit flat now.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #1192
Site Team

Garage

Bought a new FICM from Ed's FICM repair. The vehicle is at Browns Diesel Repair near Fresno...wish me luck. The shop and mechanics look to be first rate.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1193

What did you do to your SMB today?

Started loading up all the things I pulled out of he van for the winter plus new supplies. Am heading out on Friday to Oregon Raceway Park to photograph four days of racing. Getting excited.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1194

I removed my FICM and sent it to FICMRepair.com for an Atlas 40 tune and a Premium Service. I'm hoping to increase FICM reliability, improve fuel economy (current = 12 - 14.5 mpg) and be able to safely merge on to the freeway with a bit more throttle response available. We shall see. I'll start a thread when I "feel" or document some results.

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
I removed my FICM and sent it to FICMRepair.com for an Atlas 40 tune and a Premium Service. I'm hoping to increase FICM reliability, improve fuel economy (current = 12 - 14.5 mpg) and be able to safely merge on to the freeway with a bit more throttle response available. We shall see. I'll start a thread when I "feel" or document some results.
Pat
I'll be interested in your report. My FICM consistently shows 47.5-48.5V but eventually I plan on replacing the power side with the Bulletproofdiesel version and maybe sending the logic board in for the Atlas40 tune. I'm not sure how well that will play with the PCM tune I installed using an SCT tuner but it sure improved fuel economy. With regard to your merging on the freeway comment, a custom tune is worth it just for the better shift points.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I'll be interested in your report. My FICM consistently shows 47.5-48.5V but eventually I plan on replacing the power side with the Bulletproofdiesel version and maybe sending the logic board in for the Atlas40 tune. I'm not sure how well that will play with the PCM tune I installed using an SCT tuner but it sure improved fuel economy. With regard to your merging on the freeway comment, a custom tune is worth it just for the better shift points.
Check FICMRepair.com for information on your questions. It will be several weeks before I'm able to get results as I'm going on vacation soon. Here in California I don't think I can get away with tuners of that sort. Fingers crossed that this is a good start.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #1197

Installed a lighted dash switch to control my rear Starcool AC blower. My 98 van didn't have this switch, which SMB stated adding in 2000. Instead of putting it near the driver's head, like SMB does, I put it on the dash under the stock front blower switch.

Full write-up is at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9157
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #1198

Super-busy couple of weeks working on the SMB in preparation for our month-long westward trip in two weeks.

The culmination is going on right now at my local mechanic, where I'm having a 2012 front suspension and brakes retrofitted to my 1998 E250 2WD. This should be a nice upgrade to the newer-style brakes and suspension. Also installing new Bilstein shocks front and rear. Once I get it back I'll put on the Firestone rear airbags (and fronts, too, if I have the time) and also possibly a rear swaybar pulled from an E450 at the junkyard.

Also:

1. Installed new CO detector
2. Added two auxiliary 12v power points front and rear, to more easily use 12v fans. Just ordered an Endless Breeze fan... woo hoo!
3. Added front Starcool switch (see post above).
4. Replaced both Starcool aux fans with Mr. Gasket fans from Partstrain.com
5. Replaced Starcool electrical parts outside in the 110v "panel," including new 12v and 110v relays, and a new capacitor.
6. Added a Supco "hard start" capacitor in tandem with the stock AC capacitor. Seems to start a lot easier now, even from my home 15A outlet as a short test. I'll do a write-up on this separately when I have some time.
7. Redid the front cabin headliner, pre-ran power for a future drop-down TV/DVD player.
8. Installed new Kenwood rear camera, on PH near third brake light (replacing one I previously installed near the license plate).
9. During headliner project, prewired for a CB and antenna in the overhead console. Installed CB and external antenna using fender mount (like Jage did).
10. Prewired for an XM Radio kit that just showed up today from Crutchfield.
11. Built a "secret compartment" in my existing cabinets to hide valuables when parked. I'm pretty proud of this clever (IMO) mod, but am torn about writing it up, since that kind of defeats the purpose of a secret compartment, right?
12. Made a new dinette table out of oak plywood to replace the SMB-built one that was showing its age. Also made it a bit smaller width wise for more comfortable seating at the dinette.
13. Swapped out all cabin lights for LEDs.
14. Added reading light for third captain's chair area (inside barn doors), like most newer SMBs come with (mine didn't have one).
15. Installed pop-out windows on rear doors and side "40" barn door.
16. Repaired curtain tabs.

Still to do:
1. Cut Relectix for rear and side windows.
2. Make screens for pop-out windows (any suggestions on how to do this?).
3. Make and install privacy/divider curtain for behind front seats.

Whew! No wonder I'm tired all the time anymore.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #1199

Quote:
Check FICMRepair.com for information on your questions. It will be several weeks before I'm able to get results as I'm going on vacation soon. Here in California I don't think I can get away with tuners of that sort. Fingers crossed that this is a good start.
Pat
It's not illegal to use an SCT Tuner in CA to change your PCM strategy. You can always return it to the stock tune before taking it to a dealer or for an emissions inspection. The main thing a custom tune does is adjust the fueling and advance the timing. You could also have it turn off the EGR valve if you so choose so your not sticking soot back into the engine. Some are ok with that, some are not. Any tuning, including the Atlas40, may make the engine run a bit hotter.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #1200

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Pat
It's not illegal to use an SCT Tuner in CA to change your PCM strategy. You can always return it to the stock tune before taking it to a dealer or for an emissions inspection. The main thing a custom tune does is adjust the fueling and advance the timing. You could also have it turn off the EGR valve if you so choose so your not sticking soot back into the engine. Some are ok with that, some are not. Any tuning, including the Atlas40, may make the engine run a bit hotter.
Right now California only requires a visual inspection for diesels so it is impossible for them to know if you have a SCT tune, or so I've been told.