Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #181

Installed new vacuum pump. Changed oil and filters. Pulled filter adapter, cleaned it, reassembled so I could find where its leaking. When I pulled the drain plug, I thought I should invest in a magnetic drain plug. Turns out its magnetic and I just don't have any metal floating around. That's sweet. Thinking about pulling trans pan tomorrow to see how's that's looking. Just 26 days until Baja!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #182

It was raining like a mother scratcher and it was cold. Oh well.

Replaced the under body starter battery. What a freak'n PITA. Can't believe it, but the van had the orig Motorcraft battery. No wonder. Anyway, the second battery is now a yellow top and it matches the under hood batt. All is well.

Finally got after that pesky rear U joint. Now that's done.

16 days to Baja. Just ordered new tie rod and drag link ends as I'm tring to get rid of the wandering feeling of the front end before this trip. Hope that parts arrive soon.

Bought a simple Zodi hot water/shower dealy. Would still like to install a flat plate at some point, but time's running out for this trip.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #183

They say a picture is worth 1,000 cuss words:

Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #184
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
They say a picture is worth 1,000 cuss words:

You're missing the most important tool of all, a BFH! A close second is a six pack of good beer, followed by a group of your friends drinking your beer and telling you what you should be doing.

Herb
Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #185

Been gearing up for Baja and not a moment too soon. Finally bit the bullet and mounted the Hi-Lift. I'm thinking my license plate is slightly "obstructed." My fingers were sticking to my nuts and tools in the zero temps today. The nuts for the bolts and the tools used to tighten them. Geeszch.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #186

New tube bumper

The tube bumper is finished!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #187

Garage
Love to see it, Jeff, but that is not a link.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #188

fixed.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #189

I hate taking a vehicle to a shop. It just seems it cost way too much and they rarely ever do it right. As you know, started blowing oil due to failing high pressure oil lines (the high pressure oil operates the injectors, in case you didn't know). Anyway, took it to a Ford dealer in Fresno on our way home. They changed out the lines and I had them install a new fuel filter (I was going to do it in their shop, but still too much in the way to remove and didn't want to get in the mech's way). Anyway, got the van back shortly before closing time. Fault light was on, but figured that was because he fired it up without the air sensor connection connected. However, also noticed the van was running for crap (it had been running great when we took it in (except for the oil leaking from the high rpessure lines)). Puking a lot of black smoke under heavy acceleration and running rough. Knew he had pressure washed the engine valley to get rid of some of the pooled oil on the top of my motor. Hoped that while driving, things would dry up and the van would run better. No such luck. After three cycles, the fault light is still shinning bright (Service Engine Soon light). So, decided to tear into it today and try and find the problem. Its such a pain to remove the air inlet tube on a 7.3, but stripped the ol gal down and pulled the new fuel filter. Its something of a pain to tighten the hose clamps on the air tube, and this mech must have agreed as he didn't tighten a single one when he buttoned it all back up. Since the air is not metered, extra air wouldn't cause the fault. Guy had lathered the fuel filter with white lithium grease. Even had gotten some on the element. It also seemed the fuel filter gaskets weren't seated correctly, but unsure about that. So, cleaned up the grease. and carefully re-installed the filter (tighten, back off, tighten, back off, etc until tightened all the way to keep the gaskets in place). Removed the remaining Edge connections as need to send the unit back to Edge to get it fixed/replaced. Buttoned it all up and took it out for a run. Seems to be running great now. After three cycles, we'll see if the fault light goes out. Drag I'll have to remove that damn air tube to reinstall the Edge connections once I get it back, but oh well. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I need to dig into those hubs and repack wheel bearings. Good thing I have lots of paper towels.

Oh yea, the cable pulled out of the fuel bowl drain handle, so opened up the hole in the handle, filled it with glue, and stuck the cable back into the handle. Seems to have been a good fix. Guess I'd better order up a new one to be safe.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #190

Bit the bullet and picked up a OBD II reader today. Cleared my van's codes as they weren't clearing themselves. Same code relating to the oil injector/pressure issue. Since clearing the codes, no new codes, so seems its all fixed now. I now think the code reader is a must-have in my on-board box-o-tools. Finally got to a car wash and cleaned all that Baja dust, mud and salt off the van, as well as all that oil mess underneath. What a mess that oil created. Now need to turn my attention to the inside. Its a mess.