Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #2331

My flat plate water heater, and the associated plumbing, is tucked under the rear fender well, behind the rear tire on the driver's side (first photo). The moment I saw how this was designed, I immediately concluded that it is vulnerable to road debris - rocks, sticks, ice, mud, and potentially, rubber shrapnel in the event of a blown tire. It's also exposed to open air, which makes it susceptible to freezing in even mild cold temperatures, common in the mountains and winter, where and when I use my van a lot.

So I decided it needs a housing - a "skid plate", of sorts - to protect the flat plate, pipe works, drain valve, and radiator hoses.

I fabricated a duct-metal containment box, complete with a cut-out for the drain valve. It's installed, but still in need of a cap on the cut-out. Now that it's fitted nicely, I'm going to insulate it to retain heat and further protect both the flat plate and Pex plumbing from freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_20ba.jpg   fullsizeoutput_20bc.jpg  

Old 05-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #2332

More stuff...

Pic 1: The bed
1x4 leg supports with 1x3 bed supports and 15/32 A/C decking. Total weight with mattress is under 70lbs and holds my 200lb butt and girlfriend.

Pic 2: Double house battery unit charged by a VSR.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-5-14 008.jpg   2017-5-14 009.jpg  
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #2333

Had UJoint install new SMB Fox shocks all 'round and the Fox steering stabilizer.

Seems to have made a pretty significant difference... not surprising considering the original SMB Rancho front shocks were both blown (less than 3 years of pretty easy/light usage).

Thanks to Chris for squeezing me in and putting up with my inane babble!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #2334

Nice Steve! The benefits are subtle but sure. You'll realize it a lot offroad and in certain situations. Enjoy!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #2335

Is that heatechanger hooked up to the vans cooling system? Must be right?
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #2336

My new to me van failed inspection because of worn torque arm bushings, ball joints and a couple of minor electrical issues (in VT if your bumper has lights in it they have to work _even if they're redundant) oh well....I'm trying to do some of the stuff myself so I got some updated quigley torque arms, I removed the front sway bar to replace the bushings in the axle. THANK YOU FORUM. not easy, but very little chin scratching, dremel the tacks, cut a slot or 2 in the old bushing, tap out.....

A quick shout out to Quigley for providing the torque arms and a ton of info. on parts, etc. SUPER helpful THANK YOU Joyce! As others here have said...provide your VIN # and they can help you out.

I've only removed the pass. side torque arms so far....No wear observable. I almost hope the drivers side shows wear....I'm pretty impressed so far for a '97 with 214K miles.....
Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #2337

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
My new to me van failed inspection because of worn torque arm bushings, ball joints and a couple of minor electrical issues (in VT if your bumper has lights in it they have to work _even if they're redundant) oh well....I'm trying to do some of the stuff myself so I got some updated quigley torque arms, I removed the front sway bar to replace the bushings in the axle. THANK YOU FORUM. not easy, but very little chin scratching, dremel the tacks, cut a slot or 2 in the old bushing, tap out.....

A quick shout out to Quigley for providing the torque arms and a ton of info. on parts, etc. SUPER helpful THANK YOU Joyce! As others here have said...provide your VIN # and they can help you out.

I've only removed the pass. side torque arms so far....No wear observable. I almost hope the drivers side shows wear....I'm pretty impressed so far for a '97 with 214K miles.....

I'm about to do all this for my 1996 Quigley, still deciding on the new arms as I have heard these older ones can hold up a little better than the newer non-updated (tubular) design but defiantly someday. I also want to do the RIP but will have to weld new lower front shock mounts since my arms have the shock mount on the arm. I also need all new tie rods and tie rod ends, ball joints (never attempted that, not looking forward to it), etc. I have about the same mileage and mine are shot. Do you have the part numbers or a link for the bushings that go into the axle? Or did you get that from Quigley too?
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #2338

Send a message via AIM to illking
I finally got my van out on some dirt since getting it back from Agile a few weeks ago. Tested out my tire deflators set to 30 psi the van was smooth sailing with my bike on the rack. I spent the whole day riding and didn't do any trails in the van cause i was too beat after to take the hitch off but I locked in the hubs and it was nice to be able to hit the 4hi button and keep traction and speed to and from the staging area. The ARB twin compressor filled me back up nice and quick.

https://vimeo.com/217881621
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #2339

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I'm about to do all this for my 1996 Quigley, still deciding on the new arms as I have heard these older ones can hold up a little better than the newer non-updated (tubular) design but defiantly someday. I also want to do the RIP but will have to weld new lower front shock mounts since my arms have the shock mount on the arm. I also need all new tie rods and tie rod ends, ball joints (never attempted that, not looking forward to it), etc. I have about the same mileage and mine are shot. Do you have the part numbers or a link for the bushings that go into the axle? Or did you get that from Quigley too?
I called napa with the part #'s Quigley provided - they came up with 2 options I went with poly. I'll get you the part numbers in the next day or two when I install the bushings and can report on if they're OK or not.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #2340

I-Winch

I did this today at naptime

Two and a half hours. I think it came out ok. There are somethings I wish I had done differently but overall I am giddier than a school girl. With a winch like this who needs 4wd? lolz

I am so pissed I couldn't find my rollers. I am also missing one mounting bolt and square nut, and a brass terminal nut. I bought the winch four years ago so I will finally see how it does. I also need to change out the 8 bolts which hold the I-beam to the bumper mounts for high grade bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1100.jpg  
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote