Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #2431

Mounted my bike rack swing arm today. Gonna be nice to move the bike off the hitch and out of the way.

Anyone have any idea what a used passenger side swing arm is worth. Few holes in it from having the box mounted on it, but in great shape.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1931.jpg  

GBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #2432

Aluminess? If so I'm interested if it's the factory bumper mount style. I don't have an Aluminess bumper.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #2433

86Scotty

It is an Aluminess, but it came off an Aluminess bumper

Greg
GBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #2434

No worries. Thanks anyway.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #2435
Site Team

Garage
Ok I had a issue out on Gooseberry Mesa in the snow and the house battery was dropping below 12.1 when the fridge came on and when I tightened the ground on then house battery it fixed it that trip. Now I'm back out in the mountains and it's dropping from 12.7 to 12.1 when the fridge come on wtf. So the wife is with me this time and I pull crap apart tracing the issue and found that Smb did not remove the under coating on the wheel well or the carpet and glue on the top of the wheel well and just ran a bolt though. I'm not sure how it worked this long but I'm starting to get a feeling the smb craftsman suck **+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #2436
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
... and found that Smb did not remove the under coating on the wheel well or the carpet and glue on the top of the wheel well and just ran a bolt though...
I wouldn't clean all that stuff off, I would install a pass-through ground lug.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/220...ds_%5BBlack%5D

Herb
Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #2437
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I wouldn't clean all that stuff off, I would install a pass-through ground lug.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/220...ds_%5BBlack%5D

Herb

No I still need to have I contact the body for other crappy grounds smb did. The only thing I need to do is have a ground strap go to the chassis.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #2438
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
No I still need to have I contact the body for other crappy grounds smb did. The only thing I need to do is have a ground strap go to the chassis.

Got it. Yeah, no one should rely on the body for a good ground. We all do it, but a professional conversion company should use a centralized ground attached to the frame and/or engine block.

Herb
Old 07-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #2439

For something like an appliance I would run a ground to the battery or a terminal, not the frame alone, but in addition to.

Sunday I got the van stuck in the mud for the first time....
And the winch worked great! It was a great weekend, the wife and I even got some time in the van together, no kids, in the tall grass......

Can't wait to take the van to a concert in a couple weeks just the wife and I. Then we will be going on a family trip about 6hrs away. I am thinking of putting on some 225/75/16 all seasons I have for the long trip. I know it's a tad lower than stock but I shouldn't have any issues right?
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #2440

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Got it. Yeah, no one should rely on the body for a good ground. We all do it, but a professional conversion company should use a centralized ground attached to the frame and/or engine block.
Strangely the only ground connections that I made, that have failed on me, have been big ones on the frame. Other than my personal, perhaps randomly skewed data, I agree with your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
For something like an appliance I would run a ground to the battery or a terminal, not the frame alone, but in addition to.
If the battery and/or alternator ground to the frame fail, all sorts of stuff stops working. The engine for instance. No need to double up on the frame, that's plenty of metal that's already along for the ride. Do clean up the spot nicely and use nice hardware. The last bit might save you a couple of hours in a Reno parking lot at mid-day...

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote