Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #41

Re: Yet another BFG Tire fail.

So the problem is really just the gasket between the steering wheel and the seat.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #42
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Toyo load table for 285/75 16, 3110lb capacity per tire at 60PSI.
You can get 3750 per tire at 80PSI .
And why I switched to those tires. I just feel while over inflated, I lost tread faster. On the flip side, sure got better mileage. I'm not running 80 in my Toyos in the rear...maybe I should.
LF = 2,340
RF = 1,980
LR = 3,340
RR = 3,360

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #43

I had the D-Rated BF Goodrich 285 / 75R16 T/A KO and I too had the sidewall cracking running around the rims. I never thought much about it until my mechanic pointed it out to me and that my tires were under-sized even for the base van, much-less a fully-loaded camper-van.
I eventually replaced all 4 tires last month with E-rated 285/75R16 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's......the out-the-door installation cost was $951, and while I didn't necessarily like paying that, I do feel safer now. What eventually sold me was the prospect of having that stronger sidewall and thus better handling....after a couple of highway trips in windy conditions, I can definately feel the difference as the van feels tighter on the road now....less side-to-side shifting........this alone was worth the cost. Highway noise is acceptable.
Incidentally, the reason I went with the BFG Rugged Terrains rather than the T/A KO's is that my mechanic told me that his dealer told him that BFG was discontinuing the T/A KOs in th 285/75 size. There would still be many in the distribution-system so he could have gotten them for me, however if I damaged one of them a year from now, I'd have to replace all four tires. The Rugged Terrains are arguably 'tougher' looking than the T/A KOs, and a bit cheaper.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #44

Wow, I just read this entire thread for the first time and am not sure why such strong opinions are had with so few miles under the (radial) belt. What really got me was so many folks are/were running D rated tires. I have a 2008 E350 Diesel that came with 245x75R16E street tires on 7x16 wheels, and the sticker on the door say 60F/80R psi. My SMB weighs 9,800lbs (4,100F & 5,700R) loaded for road trips, so I am right up there at GVW, which according to the build sheet for my van is 9500 lbs. I went to American Tire (AKA Discount Tire) 6,000 miles ago and replaced the factory tires with Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade 265x75R16E all terrains on the same wheels. Max Load rating is 3415 @80 psi (http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wra ... lentarmor#). The American Tire computer spit out the same 60F/80R psi recommended inflation pressure as on my sticker (maybe that is all it knows), but with 5700/2 = 2850 lbs on each rear wheel, I feel like I am doing the right thing at 80 psi although I have no hard data about the 60 psi being o.k. for 4,100/2 = 2,050 lbs on each front wheel, but that seems like a long way from max loading. So what I am getting at, is there should be no contest about D and E ratings---GET E RATED TIRES and then boast about how great they are after oh so few miles! I have 6,000 miles on mine and I hope the next 44,000 are without incident---that's all I can say. No, wait. I can boast that they are marked M&S AND have the snow flake on them, which may get me by legally a little more often without putting on chains in the winter.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #45

I think we all agree with you and the vehicle certification with E rated tires makes you criminally liable if you are still driving on Ds. My issue is that even the Es are prone to fail for reasons that are not easy to understand. In this tail gating urban expressway environment that can produce the same sort of effect as we saw in the IRL race this weekend.

But if you dont like the heat stay out of the kitchen ! I know and will soldier on regardless with my Es at 80. But as soon as I can I will put on Gs on the van.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Toyo load table for 285/75 16, 3110lb capacity per tire at 60PSI.
You can get 3750 per tire at 80PSI .
And why I switched to those tires. I just feel while over inflated, I lost tread faster. On the flip side, sure got better mileage. I'm not running 80 in my Toyos in the rear...maybe I should.
LF = 2,340
RF = 1,980
LR = 3,340
RR = 3,360
You kind of omitted the rest of my post....just in case others didn't read it, I did NOT recommend 80 PSi. On my van for example, I am running 60 PSI which is easily providing slightly more than the load carrying capacity of the stock tire size. Because my actual weight is still below the load carrying capacity of the stock tires on each axle, there is no reason to run 80 PSI. There is no way Ford would spec the load carrying capacity for the tire pressure below the GVW, so you will find as seen in other posts above your van is over the GVW for at least the rear axle if not total. Tires may be the least of your worries.

My advice is, don't over inflate, don't under inflate, but make sure your tire pressure for your current size delivers the same (or nearest higher on table) load carrying CAPACITY for your vehicle as the original tire size. And then ensure each tire's ACTUAL load (ie axle weight divided by 2) is BELOW that capacity.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #47

Your logic is irrefutable but countermands the advice that every tire manufacturer provides. I personally think your advice works fine for a temperate environment and a reasonable quality road surface. In the South where we have had weeks on end at 100+ this last summer and asphalt at 150+, I think the effective loads are well over the measured levels. So whether one sets the pressure at 80 or 78 (at 100 deg) is effectively the same but clearly to get to a load use at say 80% of the rating its safer to set them at this 78/80 than 64.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Your logic is irrefutable but countermands the advice that every tire manufacturer provides. I personally think your advice works fine for a temperate environment and a reasonable quality road surface. In the South where we have had weeks on end at 100+ this last summer and asphalt at 150+, I think the effective loads are well over the measured levels. So whether one sets the pressure at 80 or 78 (at 100 deg) is effectively the same but clearly to get to a load use at say 80% of the rating its safer to set them at this 78/80 than 64.
And, if that were not true, Ford would not list 80spi for the stock rear tire pressure on a van. They would list a pressure dependent on load.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #49

+1 - many vehciles have the load dependent graphics on their tire pressure plate but Ford does not with this van and nor does SMB. So deflating to create a linear interpolation seems to be a "non-truck" thing.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Your logic is irrefutable but countermands the advice that every tire manufacturer provides.
Which is?

Quote:
In the South where we have had weeks on end at 100+ this last summer and asphalt at 150+, I think the effective loads are well over the measured levels. So whether one sets the pressure at 80 or 78 (at 100 deg) is effectively the same but clearly to get to a load use at say 80% of the rating its safer to set them at this 78/80 than 64.
How does the load change with temperature? The tire pressure should be set at the ambient temperature. Pressure is pressure.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote