Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #1

Garage
Do I need a surge protector?

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2004 classic Sportsmobile with original electrical system. It has AGM battery, New ( Thanks to helpful people on this forum), and original inverter with charge wizard. My question is, does the charge wizard act as a surge protector or EMS, or should I be using one? If I do need an Ems, any suggestions for which one?
Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:26 PM   #2

Garage
Little confused (happens more often these days than I care to share): Are you inquiring about having benefit of 'surge protection' for your vans electrical system when you run the inverter, or are you asking if your inverter is supplying you some sort of surge protection once you hook up to shore power?
Old 01-16-2024, 03:56 PM   #3

Garage
I meant to ask if the Trip Wizard is providing some protection from power surges while connected to shore power, or if I need to purchase a surge protector Ems.
I find the whole electrical very confusing so didn't know what I'm asking.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:05 PM   #4

Sarah - I always run a good surge protector when plugged in - even at home or at UHaul where I store my van. Others will certainly chime in - most likely with more experience than me !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:43 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Sarah - I always run a good surge protector when plugged in - even at home or at UHaul where I store my van. Others will certainly chime in - most likely with more experience than me !
I'd provide the same advise Russ outlined. To many variables factor into the equation once you plug into someone else's electrical - especially at any type of campground. Mine has gone off numerous times, and because of those instances I just won't/don't take any chances (could end out being very costly). Personally, I'd rather sacrifice a $200 smart surge protector than gamble my $1000+ inverter...and god knows what else.

You can find many RV 'electrical protection' devices on Amazon, But I would recommend purchasing one that qualifies as a "smart" protector in the 30amp category - these usually monitor several variables which may become evident when utilizing unfamiliar shore power. Would also encourage you to select one that provides added protection from the elements.
Lastly, don't just go out and purchase an extension cord...you need one rated for 30amps (This will help: 14-gauge cord carries 15 amps. A 12-gauge cord carries 20 amps. A 10-gauge cord carries 30 amps). I only offer this advise because we've seen so many people in RV's utilizing 14g cords.

Pretty much the same caution should be taken when using shore water - use an external filter on your hose. I place my filter at the external source, then water travels through the hose to the van - keeps the hose free of possible contaminents as well
Old 01-16-2024, 05:49 PM   #6

The charge wizard only tries to turn the Progressive Dynamics inteli power converter into a 3 stage charge, it has no surge protection value.

A company called Progressive Industries does produce RV surge protectors.

I would agree that a unit that provides EMS emergency management services or EPO emergency power off, would be my preference. These types of units will monitor all types of power issues and disconnect automatically along with providing surge protection.

I run a Hughes Autoformers Power Watchdog unit in my rig. I was chastised in another forum how it was so redundant. Good inverters provide much of the same features, along with a quick check with a digital meter. And while all that was true, I am capable of making all those checks. I still smile when I plug into any source with my rig and wait to here automatic breaker connect, knowing it has made all those check for me, and will automatically disconnect if future problems arise.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #7

Garage
One reason to have a device would be to provide warning if the shore power wasn't grounded right, which could be a safety issue if there was a short in the van. Some of the power sentries have this feature.