Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #1

House Battery Tie Down

I had PHX SMB replace my house battery over the rear diff a few months back, just to be stranded last weekend middle of desert when I lost house power.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking…. So much for torquing things down, and ck the small straps they but to hold down the heavy battery.

Anyone can send me a picture of how that is supposed to be strapped, is there a custom bracket missing or just off the market battery straps ?

Tkx. J
Attached Thumbnails
F8F60D22-ADC0-43B6-A77A-B07505378764.jpg   21D357CA-A1C8-47C3-9C19-8E22C107A317.jpg  

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #2

They used zip ties to secure the battery? That’s criminal. It doesn’t look like they cleaned up the terminals either. You should be able to find a couple nylon straps pretty easily but a metal bracket would be better, sorry I don’t have exact recommendations though.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-41508...41150157&psc=1
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #3

Sorry to see that SMB PHX is carrying on the family tradition. For what it is worth this thread Battery Mounting Location post #5 had a description of how the battery was mounted at SMB west. John K used to work for SMB west back in the day.

"Battery mounting
The zip ties are basically just there to secure the battery during installation. The battery mounts inside of an angle iron frame, with a sheet of 1/8" thick ABS plastic underneath it. The battery is secured two ways. There is an ABS cover that was designed to act as a spacer between the top of the battery and the bottom of the van floor to keep the battery from rising out of the angle iron frame once installed. There is also a small gap (about 1/4") between the angle iron frame and battery case sidewalls. This gap is filled with Sikaflex sealant which secures the battery to the frame. The Sikaflex sealant also prevents small pebbles from becoming lodged between the angle iron frame and battery case, which will wear a hole in the battery case.

If you don't have the ABS cover or Sikaflex sealant, you'll need something more than the zip ties to secure the battery (and to prevent small pebbles from causing major problems).

While I haven't seen a battery ever come out of the angle iron frame, I have seen the damage a couple little pebbles can cause!

John K."

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:46 PM   #4

Thank you everyone! ended up having to cut my trip short and strapping it down with four 1/2"zip ties and squeezing my hands in there to reconnect the battery.

Now talking to SBM about their handy work and the OEM box - tie down they were supposed to use.

I don't know what was there before but the battery is exposed right now, and I'm not of the age group to try to take that down myself so we'll see what we get from SMB PHX.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote