Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #1

Van theft has become epidemic

It seems that not a week goes by when I don't read about another van being stolen, either here at the SMB forum, or one of the other van forums I read. Most of the reports I read seem to be located along the West coast, Calif, Oregon and Washington, but in the last year there have been plenty of other locations too. Every time I read about another one I vow to up my security to a higher level. I already have a multiple layer system I prefer not to discuss publicly, but my paranoia has grown to the point that when I won't be driving the van for a few days, I'm removing a wheel to prevent a drive away theft. By backing in and removing a rear wheel, I'm also preventing a tow away theft. That works fine when I'm stationary, but when traveling I want to further increase my security, so I've decided to install a Revelco. Current installed price seems to be around $600, but there are no installers near me and it would require a two day drive each way to have one installed. Instead, I found them on Ebay for $100.00 Self installing would probably be very difficult for most non electrically savvy folks, but I'm pretty sure I can do it. Meanwhile, I also came across a new (to me) form of GPS tracker that is very inexpensive, easy to install and includes a set of contacts that could be used to cut off a fuel pump, starter circuit or what ever else you want. It does require a GSM sim card which means you will pay a monthly air time fee, but I think you can get inexpensive data only cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11213619596...4AAOSwmCxfmQ~S

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...velco&_sacat=0

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

Jeff: PM sent
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

JSYK, I emailed Ravelco about those being sold on EBay. The response was that they are fake.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
JSYK, I emailed Ravelco about those being sold on EBay. The response was that they are fake.
It will be interesting to see what I get. It's so simple, even a counterfit one should work since they are just a multi pin socket with a matching plug that shorts out different combinations of pins to complete the circuit.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It will be interesting to see what I get. It's so simple, even a counterfit one should work since they are just a multi pin socket with a matching plug that shorts out different combinations of pins to complete the circuit.
Agreed. Please do report on what you find!
Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #6

There is probably some truth that these our fake units. I have to say their packaging and everything looks pretty much like the real deal. The give away appears to be the font on the button. It does not match the font and logo design of the one I purchased directly from the company.

I do agree that this is not the most sophisticated design, so you it should be fine.

I did purchase the real thing directly from the company, they charge $454.00 (shipping included). They ask you to provide information on the make, model, year, engine for the vehicle you are installing on. It came with some general instructions and then some detailed information on the vehicle I supplied. The information they provided was spot on, down to wire colors of the recommended circuits. For that price, I also have the ability to purchase additional buttons if needed.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
…I did purchase the real thing directly from the company…
Greg,
Was this for your Transit or another model van? Which two circuits (maybe more?) does this interrupt?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #8

It was for a Jeep.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
Greg,
Was this for your Transit or another model van? Which two circuits (maybe more?) does this interrupt?Thanks,Mike
The Revelco is basically a switch that you put in series with what ever you decide to interrupt. Two pins are connected to each pair of the supplied wires coming out of the back of the dash mounted socket. Until the plug is inserted, there is no connection between them, but once you insert the plug, it shorts together the two female pins completing the circuit. This means that it's not model specific, but the authentic one apparently comes with instructions explaining which wires to splice, but if you have a wiring diagram it should be pretty easy to decide what circuit to interrupt.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-29-2021, 05:48 PM   #10

Just a thought to share. I do have the Ravelco system installed on my van, and the installation tech that came to my home to install it made a good suggestion. He suggested that I purchase a third key from the company. Since Murphy's law states you will be away from home when you lose your keys, and your second key that comes with the system will also be at home. And the company will not just send you a replacement without an individualized product card they give you at the time purchase, which will also be at home. So he suggested getting a third and giving it to family member or friend who could FEDEX it to you. The third key unit took about 3 weeks to get and they made me include the product card and returned it to me with 3rd unit. So you might check to see after market products allow for additional key units.
Jeff94598 is offline   Reply With Quote