Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

hunting down a power lock gremlin

My power locks have stopped working properly. I can use the switches in the van to unlock but none of them will lock my doors now.
My remote still functions properly to lock /unlock , just can lock useing switches..
Any thoughts on where to start ie a fuse or a relay or something??

Old 12-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Not sure but maybe the computer senses something that doesn't allow a door to be locked from the inside. You might open and completely close each door and see if that works. Otherwise, maybe a door sensor is bad. The remote might work if it bypasses the computer.

Just a guess...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

I wonder if pulling the door panels and unplugging all the door lock switches except one would be able to track down a switch that might be causing the issue.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

We have a 2001 Ford SMB and I tried locking the doors with the switch with the side door open and the rest of the doors locked so I don't think that is it afterall...
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelchef67 View Post
My power locks have stopped working properly. I can use the switches in the van to unlock but none of them will lock my doors now.
My remote still functions properly to lock /unlock , just can lock useing switches..
Any thoughts on where to start ie a fuse or a relay or something??
I've got the same issue on my 2001. Fuse also controls interior lights and headlight warning chime, so if those are working, it's not the fuse. I haven't fully troubleshooted, I'm blowing fuses and/or draining start batteries, so I just pulled the fuse. I had a weird noise last time I put a fuse in, think it might be power switch on passenger side shorting out or something.. No time to look at it yet though.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:18 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
It would be highly helpful knowing what year, make and model van chassis we're dealing with here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
It would be highly helpful knowing what year, make and model van chassis we're dealing with here.
It's in his sig (maybe not visible to you?)

"2002 E250 5.4 4R70W 2wd Lifted Pleasure-Way Traverse"

Let's see:
All the doors unlock with remote
None of the doors lock with remote
All the doors unlock with door buttons
All the doors lock with door buttons

Sounds like the wire from the alarm receiver to the door lock wire has come loose. Should be easy to identify with the alarm model and installation instructions for the van. Then it's just a matter of finding the wires
Old 12-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
its the one in my sig
2002 e250 5.4
Old 12-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
It's in his sig (maybe not visible to you?)

"2002 E250 5.4 4R70W 2wd Lifted Pleasure-Way Traverse"

Let's see:
All the doors unlock with remote
None of the doors lock with remote
All the doors unlock with door buttons
All the doors lock with door buttons

Sounds like the wire from the alarm receiver to the door lock wire has come loose. Should be easy to identify with the alarm model and installation instructions for the van. Then it's just a matter of finding the wires
All my doors lock and unlock with my remote.

Switches only unlock them.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelchef67 View Post
its the one in my sig
2002 e250 5.4
We shouldn't assume everyone has their forum display preferences set exactly the same. When seeking info that's potentially specific to a year make or model including that info in the body of the post---not relying on signatures etc---we get to the solution a bit quicker.

If you have the factory RKE module as Jage says there could be a problem with it. Typically factory wiring tends to stay in place although over time they could loose contact due age alone.

More likely though it the RKE module itself has failed. Some have successfully opened it and effected DIY repairs on the PCB and the surface mounted electronic components---I never have. Another option is finding one already repaired with warranty and exchanging the existing RKE. eBay seems to be a good source for this sort of thing, others here may have personal experience with this as well.

For a "quick fix" I'd look at the master switch block for PW & PDL located on the drivers door---again assuming those too are factory original. Occasionally one of the switch pin sockets will spread apart, the lost contact not allowing the system to work properly. "Bending" those back together SLIGHTLY restores contact and possibly full operation too.

A failed PD switch can also cause this condition but my ideas are its internal to the RKE module.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote