Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2024, 03:54 PM   #1

Low power effective computing?

I know most folks take the laptop approach, being in a van I figure multi purpose would be a better solution, here is what I am working on.

Raspberry Pi 5, yeah I am a Linux guy... running Ubuntu desktop and all the necessary apps I could want.

Van is an Econoline with the RB11 layout. What I need is some sort of wall mount for a TV that will allow me to basically side the TV over so it is easily viewed from the bed, OR slid over and pivoted so I can use the flip up table at the kitchen cabinet / passengers swivel seat as a desk...

I am looking at a Samsung 32" 4K monitor that ALLEGEDLY runs on 12v DC.

Feeding it will be the Raspberry Pi 5 / Ubuntu unit. Literally no bigger than a deck of cards. Tuner is a Hauppage Win TV USB dongle, and speaker / audio is a bluetooth Bose Jellybean looking thing a ma bob...

So the trick here like I said, and where I am looking for advice is recommendations for a good solid wall mount that will swivel AND extend so I can basically cover the entire mid / back of the van...

Am I making sense and does anyone know of anything that can work?

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:13 PM   #2

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't just a standard TV mount work? Something like this with standard VESA holes? https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...unt-70199.html

As an aside, do you have a link to that 12v monitor?
Attached Thumbnails
70199_W3.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:20 PM   #3

Generally speaking yes, but something that will extend further. So you see that arm and I guess you would call it a U hinge... I am thinking about twice that length...
Old 04-08-2024, 07:55 PM   #4

Garage
Would something like this be of interest:

https://mount-it.com/products/full-m...CABEgKguPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPHVG9Q1...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/NB-North-Bayo...CABEgJlG_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Lockabl...iABEgJVD_D_BwE
Old 04-08-2024, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Would something like this be of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPHVG9Q1...hlbWF0aWM&th=1
That second link is exactly what I need! That would get the monitor / TV comfortably anywhere I need it in the van!
Old 04-08-2024, 11:18 PM   #6

And I think I figured out the monitor / TV. Samsung 4K monitor that runs off of 19v DC, simply add a 12v to 19v step up transformer and voila I have it done! Next step, make absolutely certain the WinTV works with Ubuntu / Raspberry Pi...
Old 04-09-2024, 05:09 AM   #7

I used this 100W Universal Laptop Car Charger for a power adapter. It supports multiple output voltages and has a wide variety of adapter tips. This has worked well with my LG - 27" Class LED Full HD Smart TV with webOS.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:46 AM   #8

When I was looking for a mount for a tv for a motorhome it was very unsatisfactory. The big challenge to solve is not having the thing move while driving. Then you have to have a very solid mounting point - and likely need to back it with some wood for strength. When there's a will there's a way but personally TV while camping became a nuisance and I don't have a TV in my rig.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
When I was looking for a mount for a tv for a motorhome it was very unsatisfactory. The big challenge to solve is not having the thing move while driving. Then you have to have a very solid mounting point - and likely need to back it with some wood for strength. When there's a will there's a way but personally TV while camping became a nuisance and I don't have a TV in my rig.
I am not going down this rabbit hole for TV, but rather for a good size display for computing / remote work to allow me to travel and keep on making a living.

TV function would simply be a bonus.

There is one option not mentioned here previously, and that is a protective cover for the monitor in transit, and simply set up / take down the monitor for travel. I need to set up / take down the keyboard and mouse for travel anyway.

And it could be something as simple as wrap it up in a puffer coat and leave the dinette in bed configuration and leave it on the bed...

The more I think about it, the more I think 32" is going to be too big for the space. I currently have a dual 28" 4K monitor setup on my desk @ home. It is a good size that will allow me to do my work quite well, however the ones I have are HP V28 4K and run off of 110v AC power. There is a similar Samsung that uses 19v DC...

There is also some possibility I can stow the monitor in the closet, cushioned by clothes, and since my closet door has an added keeper strap, should be secure even under any off road conditions I am willing to put a van and my of butt through.

HOWEVER, permanently mounted, setup has the advantage of being available NOW when I pull in to camp no setup time almost. What I have seen done on the pivot mounts before is keeper straps on the wall to keep the monitor / TV from flopping about.

Lastly, this is really a thought experiment in how to minimize power usage. I do have a high end laptop with a 17" display, great laptop, good display size FOR A LAPTOP. I just want more screen real estate while working.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:54 PM   #10

I hear you. One other word to the wise - having to look at something cockeyed for any period of time is very tiring. So if using for computer - if monitor not in very ergo position it will blow.

I had a popup camper way back when with a tv which I stowed and mounted on a wall with some nice hangers from Home Depot. The act of getting it in and out of storage was tedious. Having a permanent location is ideal.

All told - my thought was ipad when I saw the original post
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote