Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2023, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Bob, are you in Alaska full time?

Yup, had planned to be fishing in Baja when I bought this rig ... Motorcrafter coming up.

Salem Kroger 4x4 Grrr (edit), fixed and drives like a dream!
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyjoe101 View Post
I bought the cheapest starter at autozone for my astrovan 2 years ago (95 dollars), it still working good. But I also kept the old starter (since it wasnt the starter that was bad).
I was getting no cranking(or clicking) from the starter, thats why I bought a new starter. The battery was good, even tried a different battery. When replaced the starter it still wouldnt crank over. Replaced the ignition switch, and then the neutral safety switch which didnt fix it. I had to rig a toggle switch so I could hotwire it to start for the past 2 years, finally found it was the ignition lock cylinder that was causing the problem.

If your going to be offroading in secluded areas then it might be worthwhile to spend extra for high quality parts.
This is what scares me.

Long story, came back from diving in southeast Asia. Left van at repair shop to be worked on. $75 taxi to shop with bags in flip flops, 10 degrees and a foot of snow. No biggy, start it up and drive home.

Van would not start, no propane in van as I didn't need it. I giggled battery cables, couldn't find anything to tap on starter if I even had someone to hold the key in start position. No screwdriver to jump solenoid. FREEZING MY AZZ OFF! Guy was at work with full time job ... I just had to go. $100 taxi ride to home after waiting for taxi to show up!!!

Mechanic said he simple held key in the start position for 30 seconds and it eventually fired up. I'm thinking flat spot on armature/brushes? All I know is no problems starting ALL last winter or up until 3 days ago. It clicks once Battery is good, cable connections are good.

Mechanic told me when this happened 2 yrs ago, if it happens again ... replace the starter.
BUT, what if it's ignition switch, connections elsewhere, yada, yada.

After having it plugged in (block heater) for 2 days, it fired right up.

I'm still leaning towards starter.
Salem Kroger 4x4 Grrr (edit), fixed and drives like a dream!
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:02 PM   #13

Ever since being stuck up in the middle of New Hampshire due to a bad starter solenoid, I carry a spare in my van. Small and cheap, and easy to replace with it being right there in the inner fender.

And @WanderingBob, a good friend of mine just bought a house in Soldotna, so maybe I'll see you around when I come up to visit! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:05 AM   #14
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyjoe101 View Post
on my 6 cylinder astrovan it was a large heavy starter. You have to try and line it up properly the first time and quickly put the the bolts in, I could only hold it in position a few seconds before I was exhausted, finally got it in after several trys.
I had to do the starter on a Mercedes 300TD, once. This was a diesel so you'd think it would use a gear reduction unit, but no, it was a massive direct drive thing. The motor was the size of a coffee can. To get it out I had to pop off the passenger side tie rod and then try to get it out through a hole in the unibody. It only fit one way and finding that one way took what felt like an hour of cursing and moving it around, in a position where I had no leverage. Then I had to maneuver the new one back in. My sister-in-law helped me and she still talks about what a pain in the butt that was.