Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Another variation: http://www.peakfinder.org/mobile/versio ... ndex.xhtml

Only 3 reviews on the App Store. I played with the online version (peakfinder.org). It was ok but didn't sync to the iPad's direction like the star maps do. You scroll the horizon to get the direction you want. Would love this app if it worked; how many times are you in the boonies and curious about the leaks in the distance?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #32

Re: Offline GPS Maps

Someone else made something very like this, but I too found it not very useful. Even fairly large peaks just ended up as small dots. An augmented reality app would be very cool for this; there's something called Peaks that does that IIRC.

I like Theodolite; you can take a picture of the unknown point and later compare with a map. I use it to document where I took photos and in what direction. But it doesn't have the names or mapping; you have to use another app for that. Or vice versa; you get a bearing from a GPS app like MotionX, and then use Theodolite to follow the bearing to the peak. With MotionX you search for say Mt. Everest, then choose to navigate to it, giving the bearing.

What I'd like is something that allows me to say drag my finger along a map and have it list the bearings from my current position rather than marking a waypoint.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #33

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
I have the European version called "Alps" and it works really good!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
What I'd like is something that allows me to say drag my finger along a map and have it list the bearings from my current position rather than marking a waypoint.
Don't know if this fits that description but here's a screenshot from the web page showing the lat/long of the viewing spot and info about a peak in the distance. You move along the horizon by scrolling and get the binoc effect with a click.

May have to try the app, based on Pschitt's comment and the web page.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #35

Found a review of the Peaks app, the one that uses augmented reality. From the review it seems one of the problems is the accuracy of the iPhone compass. I'll give it a try and report back (I'm thinking of going to the White Mtns and sitting there trying to ID the Sierra peaks is likely to be the perfect test).
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #36
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Yet another: Benchmark Maps, as in www.benchmarkmaps.com and publisher of a nice oversized road map series. Just purchased their NM road atlas, based on Internet but with downloadable tiles. Includes topos and highway maps. Looks good to my eye. Here are their words about the NM app:

New Mexico Atlas: Celebrating New Mexico's 100 years of statehood, Benchmark Maps has released a trio of products for the state in 2012. The New Mexico Atlas app is the 2nd in a new line of digital products. Also released in May 2012 are the completely reinvented New Mexico Road & Recreation Atlas, and the 1st edition New Mexico Recreation Map.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #37

Tried out the "Peaks" app. Meh.

I'm sure that part of the problem is the rather inaccurate compass in the iPhone, but even still it was disappointing. For example, in the shot below I was sitting right under the highest peak in the continental US. But Peaks didn't even show it; I had to search. And you have to search for "mount whitney," not just "whitney."

When I manually found it, the location was still off.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

Bad news. I got it, too, but haven't field tested it yet. I was concerned to see the largest mountain outside town, visible from our kitchen window, didn't show in the app. May need to write a negative review. :-(

Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #39

I'm gonna try the other one, the one that shows the line drawings (PeakFinder). So far it seems better: lists more peaks (you don't have to hit dots to see them), doesn't depend on compass, and since you can usually find one peak you can deduce the others even if the outline doesn't match what you're looking at. But I'm just trying it here in Oakland, and we're not exactly surrounded by massifs.

But with PeakFinder you can select the viewing point; here's a link to its view of the same skyline as the other app:

PeakFinder: Panoramic Mountain View

Viewpoint: 36°35'52''N, 118°11'03''W

Link: www.peakfinder.org/?lat=36.5979&lng=-11 ... 80&dir=240

So far, I like it better.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage
Offline GPS Maps

PeakFinder is the one I have. I'm inclined to like it despite my earlier note. I need to field test it.

-------
Fresno's 1st 2012 Ford van.

RB E350 6.8L V-10 4WD w/Front Air Lockers
PH Top, Kyocera solar with Zamp portable unit

(If we'd bought the winch, we'd make a fortune pulling cars out of the snow.)