Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2024, 07:23 AM   #1

Replace 12v cigarette lighter / coax with USB?

I have a 2003 sportsmobile conversion that has a few 12v “cigarette lighter” ports along with a connector for coax.

I’d like to replace them with a wall-outlet for only USB ports.

Is there a product that works for this purpose? It’s the size of a standard wall outlet.

Thank you!

Tech Tonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:13 AM   #2

I purchased this one:

Amazon USB outlet

My SMB had a hole cut in the wall that had the cigarette style outlet I was able to remove it and replace it with the Amazon one like for like. There are others on the forum that prefer to keep the universal style outlets so that they can upgrade to the latest USB tech using an insert like this:

USB charger adapter

I had 2 outlets in my van so I converted one and left the other one as is.

If you are looking for a standard house wall outlet style USB charger you could possibly try something like this:

Wall outlet USB

It looks like it take DC power natively vs many of the home USB outlets are setup for an AC input.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:16 AM   #3

I had the same type of 12VDC/coax outlet on my 92 Sportsmobile. I replaced it with this outlet which retains the old style 12VDC cigarette lighter outlet but adds 2 USB ports. The same company also makes a version with 4 USB ports without the 12VDC outlet. Available in black or white. If you search Amazon, you can find similar products with USB-C. However, if yours are like mine, the wall boxes holding the outlets are shallow RV-style boxes, so clearance is limited. Make sure that whatever outlets you choose will fit in your wall boxes.
sierrahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:35 AM   #4

I used this simple version with no lights.. needed one with the male USB connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/ICESPRING-Fem...7838599&sr=8-7
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:29 AM   #5

I just installed 3 of these units and am very happy with them.

One on the dash where the stock lighter was (left the powerpoint with the little door)
One right behind the drivers seat where the 2nd row powerpoint was (Chateau model so fully trimmed interior)
One by the rear doors hooked in to my house battery.

All are on 100% of the time and can be turned off with the little switch. Display battery voltage and when charging, rate of charge.

Direct fit in both the dash and the drivers side trim panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Built-...s%2C87&sr=8-16
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote