Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2024, 03:09 PM   #1

Almost done, LiFePo4 battery and solar upgrade.

Well, I repurposed the pair of 200 amp hour LiFePo4 batteries, for a single 400 amp hour unit. Saves a mess of space that I needed to install the heater, plus I really didn't want to mount the batteries under the van in a custom built battery box...

So for starters. I have a Chins 400 amp hour smart bluetooth LiFePo4 battery. Got all the features I could want. It is scary how close in size it is to the 200 amp hour batteries, yet how much heavier it is.

Per Sportsmobile I pulled out the original AC to DC converter charger and installed a Powermax PM3-45, same rating as the original but LiFePo4 compatible. Sadly the first one is defective, waiting for delivery of the warranty replacement. Wish me luck.

I did install some extra USB power ports through the van, since that wasn't a thing in 1993. I have a few more 12v sockets to install as well.

Now that I have ONE big battery in there instead of two, I can go ahead and start my Velit gasoline heater install... Sadly this winter hasn't really been leaving me needing any heat at all. I need to head north to enjoy that luxury...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:13 AM   #2

Could you post a link to that USB panel? I like what i see.
Thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:23 AM   #3

You betcha.

https://amzn.to/3SvfIU6

They come in a 4 pack.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:27 PM   #4

Do you know what constitutes a “high power” USB outlet? My current ones won’t keep my IPad nav system running all day without loosing ground
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:02 PM   #5

I'm not super familiar with apple products sorry I don't use them for personal use, but it will probably be something like AUSB 3.0 fast chargeror USB Type C. My Gaming laptop uses a USB Type C But requires way more wattage then any 12 V USB port I'm aware of so I have to charge it off of an inverter.

For what it's worth I picked this style of USB port specifically to run LED power strips and USB fans.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:08 PM   #6

I think the three major players in charging are QC (QuickCharge), PPS(Programable Power Supply) and PD (USB Power Delivery). I believe that QC 3.0 is with a USB A connectors the PD or PD3.0 is Type C connector. I believe that QC 4.0 and above are also type C and actually support the PD protocol, they are not downward compatible with QC 3.0 and 2.0 devices. It is common to see devices that devices that support a QC 3.0 port and a PD 3.0 port. Here is one in the format that @dbhosttexas used.

If looking for a standard 1 and 1/8 hole mount .

This unit is a little longer then previous version so check if you have room.

Plenty of other examples.

Make sure you also invest in the proper cables that support the higher charging rates. Of course for apple products you will need a type-C to lightning cable.
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:56 PM   #7

I've been buying the PD 3.0 ones lately on Amazon. Even the cheap ones seem to work well.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:11 PM   #8

FWIW new iPad Pro is USB-C at both ends of the cable with a 20w fast charge power supply.

Apparently the Pro is actually capable of taking a 30w charge. Scroll to 2:47 here for more info.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:16 PM   #9

What I haven't found is a direct wire in 100w USB C 12v charger which is what I really need for my laptop.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #10

Here ya go dude.
https://www.coolgear.com/product/cha...type-c-charger

Try your laptop on 65W, most are fine unless you really need that 100 watt.

That being said those pins look a little wimpy to pull 8.5A sustained but what do I know.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote