Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Right Angle Bending 1/0 Wire?

Thanks to anyone with an idea---always something we can share!

So I have a need/desire to bend some 1/0 wire into rather tight 90* angles simplifying an inverter's jumper cable-like wiring to an ANL fuse block and an Anderson Powerpole connector.

This is something I cobbled together on the fly, not horribly disappointed in the so-far results:

At most I'll make maybe 6 bends, each separate wire and the inverter itself held to a 3/4" thick piece of HDPE with the proper fasteners. This assembly will be carefully dragger into and out of my work van when a 120 VAC source is needed for work but I like such things to be neat and tidy not to mention having everything properly secured.

Let's have any ideas you night have used making such large wire bends like I show up there!

TIA

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #2

Garage
That inside corner worries me a bit. Along as you don't cut the insulation it's a nice field solution.I've rented hydraulic cable benders in the past for a large installation. When I've had to wire in tight enclosures I've gone with a more flexible cable. Type ENT (entertainment cable) 0r Type W (welding cable).
Old 07-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
JWA

Thanks for the reply GHamby!

I'll be using an SAE J1127 wire, will be super careful to not damage the insulation as its being formed. Filing smooth any edge of the angle bracket(s) I'll be using to form the bend should keep it in good condition.

(FWIW Red cable of any flavor is fairly scarce around these parts for some reason---I have an on-line source if I can't find anything locally.)

The cables will be secured to the HDPE with suitable metal cable straps with the through-bolted fasteners secured from behind with T-Nuts. Most likely those will be further secured with LocTite #290 to keep everything snug.

Once this inverter assembly is completed the wiring will never be moved. Nothing will or should act upon them either except for the seldom used jumper cable clamps with their own Anderson connector. For that reason I'll further secure the mating connector to the HDPE too.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #4

Garage
In years of wiring the cable jacket was almost aways black as I got into the bigger gauges. I carried all the necessary colors of Scotch 35 to mark the phases, neutral, and ground.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:20 AM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
In years of wiring the cable jacket was almost aways black as I got into the bigger gauges. I carried all the necessary colors of Scotch 35 to mark the phases, neutral, and ground.
I almost forget that once upon a time I too wired Liebert A/C computer room units, most every one of those a 3-phase system, black wiring was pretty much the norm.

I was seeking red and black as that's the convention for automotive use---I thought it would be prudent following suit. When I mentioned the 1/0 red wire being scare it was from the heavy truck electrical outfits telling me so, could be they just didn't re-supply quickly enough and I caught them during the wait.

What sort of bending tools would you use to bend or form your heavier cables GHamby?
Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Team

I would worry about the strain on the individual conductors within the wire, as well as the possible high levels of current density as the current flows through that sharp transition. There could be some burn-through.

That said, we need Scalf to weigh in.

Herb
Old 07-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #7

Garage
I remember a Greenlee hydraulic bender with a ram much like a knockout punch and a manual bender with a lever and shoe over a curved arbor. Then ,of course, there were the various schemes using the conduit bender.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I would worry about the strain on the individual conductors within the wire, as well as the possible high levels of current density as the current flows through that sharp transition. There could be some burn-through.

That said, we need Scalf to weigh in.
I agree we'll see what Scalf has to say but I'm not overly concerned I'd see that sort of thing Herb. At most I'll be flowing 80 amps which is pretty much under the limits of my conductors etc.

Good point though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
I remember a Greenlee hydraulic bender with a ram much like a knockout punch and a manual bender with a lever and shoe over a curved arbor. Then ,of course, there were the various schemes using the conduit bender.
My first tool grabbed was a conduit bender but its resulting radius was far from what I needed or wanted.

I should have remembered Greenlee was the go-to vendor for many, many wire related tools!
Old 07-20-2021, 05:26 AM   #9

My only input would be to adhere to minimal bend radius, If I needed sharp turn I might use a power post or bus bar. Many times the fuse block itself can be used to make the 90 degree turn.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #10

Garage
Consider cutting a half round from a length of 1" or so pipe and putting that in the inside corner of your bender. That might soften that bend a little.