Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #1

So it wasn't the fixtures.

I guess the guy that sold me the van fibbed a bit on maintenance, said the interior bulbs were recently replaced. I guess he did NOT mean the individual lamps. A set of 1156 LEDs are pending delivery now. I first ordered the wrong ones, I still want cool white light not daylight white, and ordered the daylight white LEDs. Heading back...

What is odd is the lights would come on sometimes and sometimes not, but these bulbs are absolutely shot...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #2

LOL remind me to never sell you anything.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:31 AM   #3

If the "replaced" interior bulbs were incandescent, then intermittent operation might not be too much of a surprise, as coiled tungsten filaments are a little bit springy, but ultimately made of a brittle material. If the electric arc briefly formed when the bulb burns out during operation isn't enough to melt the tungsten back sufficiently on both sides, the result can be intermittent contact between the recently freed ends of the filament that will occasionally weld themselves again (poorly) until a big enough jolt breaks the ends of the filament free again.

And if one is a serious off-roader, vibration alone can cause incandescent bulb failures even when the bulb is off, especially in interior light fixtures that may accentuate the vibration through resonance, etc.

On the other hand, if the "replaced" bulbs were already LED-type, then you might want to go looking for intermittent bulb socket contacts, "iffy" splices, and worn-out switches.

So maybe this is a surprise, and then again, maybe it's something else. I'm sure you'll determine this with some certainty over the long haul . . .

(Just my two cents minus a nickel.)

Timerider