Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2023, 10:43 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to TimRiker Send a message via Yahoo to TimRiker Send a message via Skype™ to TimRiker
Solar / Starlink on Penthouse

1998 Sportsmobile e250 RB UJoint 4x4 w/Penthouse poptop.

I'd like to work remote while off-grid. Researching the max solar I can fit on the poptop and hoping to perm mount a Starlink panel as well. Van currently has
  • 2 Lifelite GPL-27T AGM batteries
  • Renogy Adventurer 30A Solar Charge Controller
  • portable 100W rigid panel that folds in half
  • Victon SmartShunt (not yet installed)
  • Intelli power PD9155 for shore charging
I'm looking at:Plus various Starlink Gen 2 flat panel modification options.
The four panels don't quite leave enough space for the Starlink. I'm considering running 2 80/20 rails down the sides of the Penthouse and mounting the solar panels side to side on the rails, potentially with release hinges so I can pivot them when parked. Then the 80/20 Series 10 rail would extend over the rear bumper tire and storage and hold the Starlink there. Of course if the panels are tilted up, that may affect the coverage on the Starlink.

Looking for suggestions on if this is a good plan. Also, if anyone has suggestions on how to better mount the panels and Starlink, I'm interested. Is there anyplace that makes brackets that would securly mount 80/20 rails on both sides of the roof? The exact width might be impacted by how long the panels are. I've measured 56x123 on the penthouse top, and the panels are 55.28 x 27.76 x 1.38"

Unorganized pictures here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2d4yCXvJVUpsygst9

TimRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 05:13 AM   #2

Garage
Something to consider:
Batteries are charged while van is running, so additional panels really don't help while you’re in motion, and when you reach your destination (like most of us) you probably look for shade to park under…so roof panels only help when you consciously park in full sun (which will heat up the van).
I’d suggest going with a couple suitcase panels on a long cord. You can connect 2 or 3 together at the end of the cord using “Y” branch MC4 connections (they also offer a triple split). That way you can position all panels to face direct sunlight, or position each one at a little different angle so as the sun moves the panels will capture most of the day…that way you really don’t have to tend them throughout the day).
Your controller handles 30watts, so in theory you should have no issue hooking 3 suitcases (120watt each). They fold up to almost nothing (the soft panels, which work extremely well), easily stored under your mattress on the bunk.
I have a 100ft cord I use for my two panels which leaves me plenty of length to reach sunlight while I’m setting comfortably in the shade. Sometime soon I plan on cutting the 100ft into 2 50ft’ers with MC4 connections to link them together if needed - since most of the time 50ft will suffice.
Several threads in the Forum archives with lots of info on these. Search “suitcase panels”.
Just a suggestion.

EDIT: I would still consider 1 or2 panels on the roof since they help keep the batteries topped off, but add the extra solar via suitcase panels.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
a couple suitcase panels on a long cord.
Probably like everyone else, I was considering this before installing my panels. But with a RB van, I just don't have the interior space to store them. So, onto the roof they went. Tradeoffs....
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Probably like everyone else, I was considering this before installing my panels. But with a RB van, I just don't have the interior space to store them. So, onto the roof they went. Tradeoffs....
Fair enough, but (for me) not parking in the shade would be deal breaker and consequently any panels I have affixed to the roof (regardless of how many) wouldn't serve the purpose intended. If faced with your dilemma, i'd probably figure out a way to store the suitcase panels on the roof, or as suggested under the bed mattress.
I have 120w AcoPOWER panels and they fold down to 22.05x17.32x0.79. Placing 2 together I've stored both just behind my rear spare (between the tire and rear door and kept in place with a small ratchet strap)
I'm just attempting to pointing out the obvious; The Van would have to be in full sun to benefit from roof mounts, and any potential shading will reduce output (some dramatically). Unless you get creative, any roof mounts are also subject to remain at the same angle all day, where portable panels simple have more versatility.
Everyone's motive is the same; dump as many amp's back into your battery as possible. Quite frankly, you're more restricted in what you can accomplish utilizing roof mount only...a combination IMHO is the ideal solution.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:30 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TimRiker Send a message via Yahoo to TimRiker Send a message via Skype™ to TimRiker
Excellent points. I'm considering making the roof mount panels fairly easy to detach, so if parked in the shade, I could remove them and move them to sun with an extension. Given, getting them off the top of the penthouse would not be an easy task, but as mine is also an RB van, so interior storage is a concern.
I had not considered mounting my current portable panels between the door and the spare tire. I'll have to see how much space I have there. That would certainly save interior space. What do you do to protect them?
TimRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 03:42 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRiker View Post
What do you do to protect them?
I bought a waterproof carry case - once I put the panels inside the case, I used 4 large heavy duty rubber bands (bought through Amazon) that stretch around both sides (2 for each side - like putting ribbon around a present) to keep it all compact. That slipped between the back of the spare and the door body nicely.

https://xtardirect.com/products/sola...riantsId=10556

Owner of a specialty Jeep Shop I use liked mine when he came across it, and he ended out buying something very similar (slides his two panels in it, wraps the excess of the bag around itself and also uses 4 heavy duty rubber bands to keep it compact). He also slips the bag behind his spare tire and the back of his jeep (he ordered the same AcoPower 120w panels I have). He used something very similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/LAMINET-Table...c1df98776&th=1

Many of the Solar Suitcase manufacturers also sell protective carry bags for their product - may find a size that works for you.

There are lots of ways you can wrap and secure them. When i tuck my 2 panels (bundled together in the bag) behind the spare, I also put my extension cable in the bag with them...all fits comfortably.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
figure out a way to store the suitcase panels on the roof
Yeah I explored that too. I floated the idea and someone said "you are going to wrestle with those panels onto and off the roof every time you want to use them? Trust me, you aren't going to want to mess with that". Hence, fixed them to the roof knowing the performance would suffer at times. No go under the couch - wouldn't fit.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Yeah I explored that too. I floated the idea and someone said "you are going to wrestle with those panels onto and off the roof every time you want to use them? Trust me, you aren't going to want to mess with that". Hence, fixed them to the roof knowing the performance would suffer at times. No go under the couch - wouldn't fit.
I have a thule box on my roof, but mostly store river/lake flotation toys & couple other items. My suitcase panels fit in it easily, and would be no problem retrieving each time I intended to deploy (if I didn't have room inside the van).
If you don't have a side ladder I can understand the issue, but getting them down and storing them takes less than a minute either way. If they were heavy I could see it being inconvenient - the flexible panels weigh about 1/2 of their hard-frame counterparts (if not less). Believe mine weigh just over 10lbs.
Now if your referring to removing hard panels you've mounted on the roof which you intend to take down so you can position them on an extended cord, I can see that becoming cumbersome.
Member Scalf77 has a couple contributions in several related threads which offer exceptional advise & also outline great ways to install exterior solar cord connections in convenient to use locations.
These may prove beneficial:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...rea-31628.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-23929.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-sm-29939.html

Tags
electrical, penthouse, rack, solar