Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #1

Solar Panel Installation in Austin, TX area?

I have a 2007 Ford E350 4x4 van and would like to install a couple of solar panels on the Penthouse roof. Does anybody know of a reliable installer in the area? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

geotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 05:11 AM   #2

Garage
Google shows several, but this one stands out;
https://bobsrvsolarpanels.com/rv-sol...v-solar-panels

Just keep in mind, Your alternator charges batteries while driving, and most people park in the shade when they reach their destination (especially in Texas heat), so roof panels will not help much when camping. You may consider adding an accessible port to plug in a suitcase panel (with a 50ft+ cord) to set a panel (or two) up in the sun when you need it most.
Several threads available on the subject - just search ‘solar suitcase’, or ‘suitcase panels’.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-23929.html
Old 06-13-2023, 07:45 AM   #3

TwoXentrix,
Thanks very much for your suggestion to consider a suitcase panel. I had already been leaning towards a suitcase panel but wanted to get input on mounting panels on the Penthouse roof. Your reply pretty much convinces me to go with the suitcase panel. I greatly appreciate your response.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:34 AM   #4

Garage
I use a 75ft cord that I attach to the van, the other end I plug in two Suitcase panels using MC4 connections on all ends, and a “Y” branch adapter to receive both panels. The two suitcase panels also have a 25ft cord on them, so I end out with 100ft length to reach sunlight.
I normally position the two panels to capture as much direct sun as possible…when I don’t want to tend them, I’ll place one to angle the immediate sun and the other to capture the sun about 2-3hrs later. Works very well either way.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:13 PM   #5

Twocentrix

I plan on setting-up a solar panel layout similar to Twocentrix. I will initially buy a Renogy 100w suitcase panel with a 75 foot solar extension cable and solar panel connectors (10 AWG) compatible w/ an MC4 connector to an SAE adaptor PV extension. Sportsmobile Austin will be installing the port to connect to the house battery. Where can I buy the 75 foot extension cable?

Also, I plan on buying a second 100w Renogy suitcase panel later on. The Renogy panels each come with 20A PWM controller. Are there any issues with the two separate controllers when connecting the 2 panels?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:44 PM   #6

Garage
Cable can be purchased on Amazon - that's where I purchased mine, Along with the MC4 connectors and "Y" branch for the end of the cable.
I too got the 20A Controller with my suitcase Panels...BUT, I don't use them, my outdoor connection is wired right to the Solar Controller in the Van.
I only keep one of the portable controllers that came with the suitcase in the van in case I would ever need one.
Not sure I'm following your last question - YOU CAN connect two panels to one controller since the controller is rated for 20amps. I'm guessing the best the 100WT panel will put out is 6-7amps/hr (multiply by 2 and would still be safely under the 20amp capacity of the mobile controller).

EDIT: I would put a 20amp fuse in-line. They also sell these on Amazon for solar (and MC4 connections on the ends). I have one at the end of my cable just before connecting to the Van.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:21 PM   #7

Dear TwoXenrix,

I will go ahead with my purchase of the first solar panel. When I get around to buying a second panel, do you have any suggestions as to how to connect the two panels to the one 20A Controller and where I might mount the controller? Again, I really appreciate your help.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:16 AM   #8

Garage
Use Solar “Y” connection to allow the two panels to hook up together at the end of your cable:

https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Conne...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

Can’t really provide how/where to hook up the 20amp controller without a better understanding of where your house battery is located - can you provide pic’s?
Old 06-15-2023, 07:56 AM   #9

Dear Twocentrix,

Thanks to you, I think I now have the information to hook-up my solar panel system. I should be able to mount the 20amp controller in a suitable place on the van to make everything work fine.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #10

So the Renogy 100 suitcase and controller can be a little confusing when comparing to other solar options. The panels are directly wired to each other and then to the controller. There is not the common interface connector (MC4) on the end of the panels. They do unfortunately use MC4 connectors on the output of there controller .

So your extension cable would have MC4 connectors on one end and SAE connector to mount to your supplied connection on the SMB. This would be a direct connection to battery system (No SMB specific controller)

Renogy does make the Suitcase with out controller (it does have MC4), and I am pretty sure a kit to adapt top existing suitcase with controller. The wires just go in the same screw terminal location as the unit with controller.

This can be a little confusing because generally the MC4 connector would lead us to believe it direct from solar. So when Felix speaks of a Y adapter, he is speaking of panel connections not how Renogy uses from the controller to battery.

There are other soft panel options out there, you may want to look into also.
Here is a comparable 100 watt panel with controller

This unit the controller is already set to take MC4 connections , if you wanted to add another panel(no Controller)

This would take the Mc4 Y or parallel adapter

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote