Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 08:51 AM   #1

Solar panel mounting to the SMB pop top...

So I have a small, 100 watt panel I'd like to hard mount for passive charging of my house batteries.
It's one of the flexible Renogy panels that I pilfered from another project.
I'm thinking towards the rear is the smartest move, bu am open to ideas.
What's the easiest place to run wiring from the pop top with the least risk of a leak?

Thanks

PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:05 AM   #2

SMB generally runs wire up to the top of the penthouse via same corrugated loom. Theses are usually found in the passenger rear corner or driver front corner. This is usually a good path for a pair of solar wires. The wires can side between canvas and top so that they are outside of the inside area. You can then go through the top on the outside of the protected area so there is less chance of a leak getting inside the van.

Two roof cable seals I like are: Solar Entry Puck by DIYVAN.com This is very low profile. I also like the Scanstrut DS-HD6-BLK Horizontal Double Cable Seal
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
SMB generally runs wire up to the top of the penthouse via same corrugated loom. Theses are usually found in the passenger rear corner or driver front corner. This is usually a good path for a pair of solar wires. The wires can side between canvas and top so that they are outside of the inside area. You can then go through the top on the outside of the protected area so there is less chance of a leak getting inside the van.

Two roof cable seals I like are: Solar Entry Puck by DIYVAN.com This is very low profile. I also like the Scanstrut DS-HD6-BLK Horizontal Double Cable Seal
Mine runs up the drivers side front, so I guess I'll start there.
Shouldn't be too complicated.

Thanks
PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote