Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #1

Van theft has become epidemic

It seems that not a week goes by when I don't read about another van being stolen, either here at the SMB forum, or one of the other van forums I read. Most of the reports I read seem to be located along the West coast, Calif, Oregon and Washington, but in the last year there have been plenty of other locations too. Every time I read about another one I vow to up my security to a higher level. I already have a multiple layer system I prefer not to discuss publicly, but my paranoia has grown to the point that when I won't be driving the van for a few days, I'm removing a wheel to prevent a drive away theft. By backing in and removing a rear wheel, I'm also preventing a tow away theft. That works fine when I'm stationary, but when traveling I want to further increase my security, so I've decided to install a Revelco. Current installed price seems to be around $600, but there are no installers near me and it would require a two day drive each way to have one installed. Instead, I found them on Ebay for $100.00 Self installing would probably be very difficult for most non electrically savvy folks, but I'm pretty sure I can do it. Meanwhile, I also came across a new (to me) form of GPS tracker that is very inexpensive, easy to install and includes a set of contacts that could be used to cut off a fuel pump, starter circuit or what ever else you want. It does require a GSM sim card which means you will pay a monthly air time fee, but I think you can get inexpensive data only cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11213619596...4AAOSwmCxfmQ~S

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...velco&_sacat=0
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote