Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Re: Another Noober... Questions on Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBadger
Hullo to all!

Questions:
a. I've not asked SMBW yet, but if I can get the penthouse top Line-X'd with the installation, anyone have an opinion on whether or not that is worth it? I've seen a number of posts about cracked top paint, etc., and how you all fixed them with coating material and it seemed like a reasonable preventive measure.
a1. Along with that notion... any opinion on whether it would look better color-matched (if they can), or would black set it apart a little and look OK?
Black tends to act as a heat sink, but if your alternative is "Steel Blue", it may not make much of a difference. Personally, I would go for the color-matched option. Ask if there is a price difference.

Quote:
c. Gaucho: I am torn between putting in a longer (72 or 75 vs 63 inch) bed to avoid the swing-up extension, but I then lose that 9 to 12 inches of potential storage cabinet space. I see many of you like the PH sleeping option (except for crappy winds) - which would make a case for keeping the short option and dealing with the extension only on rare occasions when needed. However, there is something to be said for not messing with the PH bed (leave it home), and just being able to rack out below. How awful is that extension, or is it a reasonable and decent way to go? Anyone have any pictures of it deployed?
How tall are you? Storage always seems to be at a premium in vans, particularly in an RB. If you think you will be using the PH most of the time, and will only occasionally use the gaucho, I'd stick with the shorter gaucho + extension.

Quote:
d. Any thoughts on windows? Merits of awnings vs. sliders vs. bays... anyone have particular nits or dislikes about any of those?
My one big regret on my van is getting sliders instead of awnings. Definitely go for the awnings for rain protection.

Quote:
e. I think I have settled on the walk-through plan, but just in case... what attraction does everyone see in the closed-back (e.g. RB50) plans? I see so many in the gallery pics... what am I missing? What makes that plan so almost-universally attractive? (weird question, and maybe by the fact I am asking it, I have already decided...)
Pros for the RB50 are forward seating for passengers and a more-open seating area with the front seats swiveled around. Cons are outside access-only to rear storage.

Quote:
I am also still caught stewing over having more tall cabinets, or more windows, but that's just a preference question, I guess.
More windows! Tall cabinets can be claustrophobic. Ask to look at multiple builds when you visit to get a sense of what you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Brent