Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #21

I added a one gallon tank in both my rigs as a water trap more than air storage. Have used compressors without tanks and always wound up with water in the lines which causes problems filling the tires. The water comes out of the air from the heat of compression. The drain valve on the bottom of the tank allows me to drain the water.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Can you post a link?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
This doesn't appear to be a Viair to me. Am I misinterpreting your post #14?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
This doesn't appear to be a Viair to me. Am I misinterpreting your post #14?
I see how my post was probably misinterpreted, sorry about that. It's the exact same as a Viair 450C. Same specs, looks, etc. This is the first time I have not bought a Viair, I took a chance on this one since it was cheaper and apparently the same compressor. So far, so good.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #25

Is this the more beautiful, but also more dramatic version of the Viair?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #26

Im glad this thread has started so much discussion on compressor solutions for our vans, its definitely a rabbit hole of options out there. I was asking my mechanic what he uses and he recommended a napa maxi trac portable compressor, which for the price could be pretty good albeit a non mounted option.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C

I wish it wasn't online only, but maybe I can return at a local napa store if I did order it and it doesn't make the cut.

I found this video on youtube where a guy compares this to a twin air ARB compressor and the napa portable is faster at fill time compared to the ARB:

I might look into this as an option a little more, could work for me since I'm not going to be needing to inflate too too often maybe just a dozen or so times a year with my 33" tires. Real question is can it get these tires up to 50 to 60 psi which is what I typically run when on the pavement.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Is this the more beautiful, but also more dramatic version of the Viair?
Subtle, Whit, I like it!
Old 12-22-2021, 11:16 PM   #28

I used the Viair 400P on my van and it got 4 tires from 30 psi up to around 75 without overheating. It took about 3 minutes per tire.

I recently upgraded to one of the portable ARB twin motor compressors. It works really well and inflates the tires much faster that the Viair did. Not sure if it is worth 4 x the cost though. I went with a portable unit since the compressor will be used in my van as well as my Jeep.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #29

Thinking outside the box... I have a Warn Powerplant HF with the built-in compressor, but I haven't mounted it to the van yet because I haven't finished the bumper yet (WIY winter project). We were headed out for a trip above 10k ft back in March, and I knew I'd want to be able to air down for flotation in the snow. I decided to try out a Harbor Freight compressor that could be used around the house once the Powerplant is installed. I chose this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64596.html

I paid $130 with a coupon I found one the internet, but this was nine months ago.

Downsides are that it runs on 120V AC and takes up a ton of space, but this thing is super quiet and had no trouble filling 33s (50psi F / 70psi R) in no time. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

(Note: the air hose and inflator aren't included.)
Old 12-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #30

The Maxi Trac Napa compressor linked above is 20% off (and free shipping) right now. I just picked one up for $97 shipped.

Use code "20OFF" at checkout.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C
bobthecow is offline   Reply With Quote