Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2022, 10:01 PM   #121

The axle simply slides out of the hub after you remove the bolts at the flange. There is no other retainer for them. You can pull it out with the hub still installed.

The hub is held in place with a couple of big nuts on the threaded end of the housing.

Haynes book is nowhere near factory service manual.

Search online for a factory manual. Someone will have posted it as a pdf.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:23 PM   #122

Decided to put the van up for sale. I was at the point where to turn a wrench on the next step (axle and/or tank) would make the van undriveable until the job was finished and I figured I'd see if anyone wanted to test drive it, so I placed a couple of ads and got some replies and one visit. He gave me a deposit and is supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

If he backs out I'm prepared to continue with the swap, but this will free me up to finish up several rooms of the house remodel without the Dodgect's distraction and we can always look at other vans later. By the time the house is done Covid will be a memory, the RV market will have crashed and we'll have our pick of bitchin' rides for a mere pittance. Or not.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #123

Well, the van has gone to live with its new owner. Say hi to Doug...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	42998

...and be sure to wave if you see him out there. 'Bye, big van.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	42999

Have not given up on a build but it'll have to be with a different van. Probably a wise move.

Thanks for reading along.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:35 AM   #124

Garage
Congrats, I think, on the sale. Bitter sweet maybe, sounds like the best option. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:34 AM   #125

Thanks. I'm 71 and may not have many years left. I was ready for a project but not a struggle, which that van was becoming. New owner seems capable and is younger, which gives him time to sort things out.

Onward!
Old 06-16-2023, 08:19 PM   #126

Stopped back in for a visit and to post a couple of pix I found. No word from Doug, the guy who bought my project. I hope he still has it and is racking up many happy miles.

I'm still big-vanless (we do still have our Westy) but I found these photos of the interior of an FGME highroof without its inner skin, showing the steel reinforcing framework. I figure by posting here the info might be useful for someone who finds such a van for himself.

These pix are from a van with normal rear doors and its taller doors on the side, the reverse of my configuration, and I've posted the link to the ad where I found them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...27162443243970
Old 12-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #127

Just stopped back by to report that it's taken since the sale of the van to finish that house project; big kitchen remodel (moved from back of house to front of house), completing both of those spaces, and also redoing the living room. Basically, we worked four hours a day every day for a year and half. That would have been a lot of time NOT working on the big Dodge, and we're only now getting to the chores that were deferred. Selling the van was the right move, but that didn't keep it from being a fun and instructive experience.

Thanks for the suggestions and input on that camper project. I appreciate the shared knowledge and the moral support. Maybe I'll see you out there in our Westy or possibly in a different van.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #128

Sorry to hear that it worked out that way. I hope you guys get a big van someday that isn't a fixer upper! Its already is a ton of work to do a camper conversion without any base vehicle problems.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote