Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #51

Finally Getting Started!

Bought some led replacements bulbs for the factory lights. During the rear cabinet build having the doors open and the lights on killed the battery at least once. Took some pics but they weren't very nice. Got them off of amazon, needed five to replace the bulbs currently in there (had to buy 6). 3 pairs cost $24, they have the eight led lights per bulb. Now I need to add two or three "house" lights. Saw some nice ones in other threads so I'll have to look around.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #52

Finally Getting Started!

Brian, which factory interior lights do you have (that you got new bulbs for)? Are they the pairs of square ones that tilt? If so, I'd love to see how they turned out. I've never seen bulbs for that type, but I need them.
Thx
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #53

Re: Finally Getting Started!

I'm sure we have the same lights. I have the dual swivel's you referred to. One set up by the driver, one set in the middle and the switchable single in the rear. You can pry the lenses or the lens and frame out with a small screw driver. On the swivel lights the frame comes out much easier than the just the lens. Old bulb on the left behind the lens, new bulb on the right w/o the lens.

My camera is not the best for low light conditions. The lights have 5 bulbs and all are the same. I had a problem with installing them while the lamp socket was warm/hot. Maybe it wasn't a problem but I had two that when I plugged into the socket I couldn't get them to come on. I also had to squeeze the tabs that hold the bulbs because they were loose. The last bulb I installed the next morning and it came right on, and since then no issues at all. Last night I described them as 6 led but in fact they are 8. Hope this helps.

Old bulb versus new led

Amazon Link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R1 ... 00_s00_i00
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2090.JPG   CIMG2092.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Brian, which factory interior lights do you have (that you got new bulbs for)? Are they the pairs of square ones that tilt? If so, I'd love to see how they turned out. I've never seen bulbs for that type, but I need them.
Thx

And if you can find it, post the link for your red/white house lights. I think they were marine? Thanks.

My Build Thread
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #55

Note when installing LED bulbs many of them are directional. The positive end has to be on the 12volt hot+ terminal and the negative to ground. With Incandescent bulbs that does not matter so they can go in in either way. You have a 50/50 chance of getting them in the right way the first time. So If LED's don't work try always turning them around.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #56

Here you go, and thanks for the link to your bulbs.
Defender sells 3 different ones of these, all of which I like. This one is red/white, another is blue/white, and one is white only, dim or bright. The white in mine is perfect for camping but pretty bright for using as a dome light on the road. The red is REALLY bright red, kind of weird. I expected it to be dimmer, but hard to argue about too much light in these vans.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...441&id=1130503
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #57

Finally Getting Started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Note when installing LED bulbs many of them are directional. The positive end has to be on the 12volt hot+ terminal and the negative to ground. With Incandescent bulbs that does not matter so they can go in in either way. You have a 50/50 chance of getting them in the right way the first time. So If LED's don't work try always turning them around.

...Jamie
I need to go play the lottery. Out of five 3 worked right away. 1 worked after a couple of tries, the fifth worked the first time the next morning. The whole time I was probably turning them around and never knew it. They didn't have any directions and frankly, "how hard can it be?"

My Build Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #58

For some reason they never mention it or have instructions. But like all diodes they are one way only.
I bet every company that sells LED bulbs that can go in either way gets many returns.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 09-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #59

I had a chance to spend some time dry fitting the battery boxes.

Here's $22 worth of Grade 8 bolts 7/16" by 1 1/2"

My original plan was to have both boxes on the passenger frame rail. My frame is drilled for one box on each side. So if wanted to have both boxes I would have to drill all eight holes for the boxes. With one box installed there is not enough room in between the box and the step for the barn doors.

Here is the box on the passenger side. Not really an issue except for the longer cables. Rough measurement of 7'. If I mount the inverter on the passenger side cabinet right above the wheel well then that cable will need to be about 7' as well. If I mount the inverter in the kitchen module the cable will be much shorter. Only a few feet but the cable in between the batteries will still have to be 7'. Basically the kitchen module is right above the drivers side battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2094.JPG   CIMG2095.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #60

Brian,

Look for a set of holes (two round top and bottom and the one in the center is a square hole) about 7 3/4 inches ahead of that box. That's how far my bolt holes are apart from the front of the rear box to the rear of the front box. The safety cable holes (two one for the locator tab and one for the bolt) are just below it and slightly ahead.

I guess it is possible that vans before 2003 when the 6.0 diesels started might only have one set per side as 7.3s had one under the hood and one under the floor. Or maybe the boxes changed some. It might be easier to mark and re-drill the boxes instead of the frame using existing frame holes if you want them both together.

Oh and you have nuts holding it out so it might hit on the step. It should be tight to the frame rail on that side. On the drivers side you will have to make some spacers and use longer bolts to clear the e brake cable (even if you dont use it).

...Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Box.JPG  
2004 F-350 Dana 60