Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
I went with a 43ish gallon tank on mine. Definitely helps with the decreased mpg after the tire and 4x4.

Exciting with all of the pictures rolling in. We need you to get your van back so we can watch you install those floors!

That's when the circus starts. Flux with power tools and precision work to do while his 4 year old twins throw tantrums all around him.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #62

John has a guy that makes them in LA i believe. Might be aero that Flux is mentioning, not sure. Anyways, tank was $1,200.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
John has a guy that makes them in LA i believe. Might be aero that Flux is mentioning, not sure. Anyways, tank was $1,200.

Aero for sure. Got to meet them when I dropped off the plastic tank for measurements. Good guy and he cranked out my tank in less than a week!!
Old 12-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #64

Garage
1200 for 43 gallons isn't bad. Especially if it stays in the stock location.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #65

I think our goal was to come down an inch or two from stock and get a few more gallons. It all depended on having the spring loaded fuel cell that could extend a bit. Stock was 32ish. If I get 40 I am absolutely pumped.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #66

Garage
Oh gotcha, well if it's more than 35 that beats Ujoints tank at 1600 for the stock 35 gallons!

Also, I don't blame you for the rear compartment and I almost installed one of those but now I want to do the 55 gallon tank in the rear and install a compartment in the stock gas tank section instead.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Oh gotcha, well if it's more than 35 that beats Ujoints tank at 1600 for the stock 35 gallons!

Also, I don't blame you for the rear compartment and I almost installed one of those but now I want to do the 55 gallon tank in the rear and install a compartment in the stock gas tank section instead.

Thought about that too. On the EB's there is a lot of open space here and there and it would be cool to have more underfloor storage. The tank is huge, you could have a really cool storage area there for sure!

I was thinking about some side access storage boxes in that void between the body and frame behind the driver.

But I do love my underfloor. before I split to take the van down to agile I put the jack and such in there. Wrapped it in a towel though so I didn't have to hear it clanking the whole way.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
A Couple things a out 2010+ vans:

They have extra measures of RSC which can be good and bad at times. John has that worked out with the tone ring they put on their axle.

You probably won't be able to find a Full Float Rear Axle that works with the later RSC.
...So is my 2008 5.4L an earlier version of RSC? It has a metal gas tank and a factory FF axle......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #69

Garage
My 2008 also has the metal tank but no RSC because its a cargo van, if it was passenger im pretty sure it would have it. I also don't have the FF.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
...So is my 2008 5.4L an earlier version of RSC? It has a metal gas tank and a factory FF axle......

From everything I can gather from multiple sources including John at Agile, carringb, and MG, there are marked changes in the RSC in either 2010 or 2011. All three of these folks went to great lengths to help me understand these things. Otherwise I would have had a FF installed while it was down there. What we did talk about though, and I don't know when it happened, was that Ford went with larger bearings in the SF which help out a great deal, so for now I should be OK. But in these late models, if you don't get the RSC correct, you are in for a world of hurt. Again, all of this is to the best of my knowledge, which is a fairly narrow band. There are factory FF axles in the 2010-2011 plus, but they are not RSC equipped. But I am now told that an F Series Sterling 10.5 axle with RSC can work. So that might come down the road.

Some place in and around 2009 or so Ford switched to the CARB compliant plastic tanks. And they have all manner of junk hanging off of them and there are direct OBDII connections on the fuel cell and other such things. Another case of not being able to do a direct swap with an older metal tank and alter that for way cheaper. I looked and looked. No aftermarket tanks after 08 I believe.

What else I found out is that Transferflow makes a tank for SMB that is plug and play and CARB compliant. But they will only install it there. It's hellishly expensive too.

Again, all of this is to the best of my knowledge. I don't find it limiting, just more of a hassle to work around and costs a few more $$. Certainly makes earlier models more attractive as you can just do what you want and parts are plentiful. On the flip side of that is my rig already has big brakes and a cool dashboard. And I certainly won't complain about the 5 speed with tow haul.

And if I was at a different place with the van and my knowledge, I might be having this shipped to my house:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Ford-F350...hX3C2l&vxp=mtr