Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #1

Maxxair Fan Top Removal?

Has anyone removed just the top part of their Maxxair fan? I have to clear a gate with my E350 and the Maxxair fan top is not gonna fit through (4 inches too tall).

I've already deflated/re-inflated the tires to fit under the gate and it was a major pain in the butt. I'd much rather just take the fan top off, then put it back on, but the Maxxair manual is not clear on how or if this is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
roof fan.jpg  

tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 04:47 PM   #2

I've installed several. I've never seen the top off of one. I don't think it's easy to do but I could be wrong. What you could do is change to the other style which is lower, and moves more air in my humble opinion.

You have a Maxxfan Deluxe.
Check out the Maxxfan plus. All the same features, no hood. At least with the 4500k model.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:49 AM   #3

I took mine off a couple of years ago when I had to have the penthouse top re-painted. I don't remember having any real difficulty once I realized I needed to raise the top about 1/2-way in order to get to the screws on either side. I could not see the screws from the inside and could only see them from the outside once I raised the top a bit. I'm not sure which model I have, but it does look a little different than yours. It does not have the remote control.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:25 AM   #4

Never had the just the top portion out but the whole fan can be removed from the roof mount with 4 screws. You can see the 4 locations on the base, and one is shown on the fan. You would also have to disconnect power.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Never had the just the top portion out but the whole fan can be removed from the roof mount with 4 screws. You can see the 4 locations on the base, and one is shown on the fan. You would also have to disconnect power.

Thanks! How hard was it to remove/reconnect the power?
Old 12-07-2023, 04:18 PM   #6

It's just two wires, a power and a ground. If you're going to do this often get some quick connectors.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
It's just two wires, a power and a ground. If you're going to do this often get some quick connectors.
Thanks. I've probably used the fan 3 times in 3 years, so I don't have much interest in getting a different model.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
Thanks. I've probably used the fan 3 times in 3 years, so I don't have much interest in getting a different model.
Understood, you can also get an even flatter model than the one I pictured if you want to avoid having to remove/install. That is if you really don't need the thing. These are all a standard 14x14" hole. You could replace with a non powered skylight type which has a less protruding lid.

Heng's makes them, among others.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJTTLKHN...9kZXRhaWw&th=1
Old 12-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #9

Maxfan Deluxe is a nice option, but it only buys you 2" compaired to the regular Maxxair. if thats what you need, then you are in the money.

I feel the pain - my Maxxair clears my garage door by less than 1/2". Was nerveracking the first time.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post
Maxfan Deluxe is a nice option, but it only buys you 2" compaired to the regular Maxxair. if thats what you need, then you are in the money.

I feel the pain - my Maxxair clears my garage door by less than 1/2". Was nerveracking the first time.
If you truly need a full 4" of additional clearance you could pickup 2" as he says with the Deluxe model and then take 2" out of that header board maybe 2.5'-3' width then beef it back up with some 1/4" steel plate if you think its necessary.

I took the whole fan off once and getting up there and not sliding off was harder than the fan removal but I have a 16" Fiberine with a bit of a curved/sloped roof.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote