Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #41

Re: MG Metalworks Build

Man I take a couple months off of here (it was Summer in Alaska) and miss a nice Van and fab job! I need a sliding door extension want to help out?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
Man I take a couple months off of here (it was Summer in Alaska) and miss a nice Van and fab job! I need a sliding door extension want to help out?
Yeah, I can help....up to about 3" of extension. Beyond that is ugly. I've been working on a new design but haven't had a chance to finish the prototype. 1) because I don't really need any additional room until I get bigger tires and 2) Every time I want to tear the van down to work on it my wife starts asking me to take the family on a road trip... The rain here in Oregon will kill her spirit soon though and I'll have a chance to start up that project again.

What is your timeline for needing one? What is the distance from the frame to the outside of your tire that you'd like to get to?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #43

3" would be great and would clear my current tyre and amy differences in new ones as long as I don't go bigger than my current 37x13.50x20. I am in no hurry as I have not really used it much (the door not the Van) I have spoken to QuadVan about it but they would only do it if the Van was there and that would cost me about 2000.00 in fuel. As long as the cost is reasonable I am in like Flynn...
Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #44

A little more progress on the Super Duty mirror project....

I got some waterjet parts for the mounting base and welded up the passenger side mount. Worked out pretty good. Very solid and pretty easy to put together.

I've cut down the truck mirror plastic shroud to rough out the design for the van. I'm about as far as I can go on my busted-a$$ wrecking yard door because it is pretty banged up in some important areas and I can't build an accurate model off of a crushed door. I need to pull my van into the shop, mount up the mirror and start filling in the voids and shaping some plastic.

If I had a CAD model of the door this would be super easy and I'd just build a shroud in Solidworks. Anyone out there have a CAD model of the door? They're available to members of SAE and various aftermarket manufacturers and conversion companies probably have them as well.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #45

Garage

Those mirrors are so cool. love your stuff. Watching progress.
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #46

PM sent
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #47

I'll be in Oregon this June (Newberg actually). Would you be interested in making (and installing) another of those sliding door extensions? I could use a 3" extension just to clear future-installed flares and a 285/70/17 tire. Let me know and a price (P.M. ok). Great work on this post, very awesome!
94' LR Discovery - built
KF7KOY
01E350AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #48

Dude....are my mirror's done yet!
Lol happy new year bro, can't wait to see what you fab up this year.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
Dude....are my mirror's done yet!
Lol happy new year bro, can't wait what to see what you fab up this year.
Buck
Happy new year Buck! I'm getting closer with the mirrors, I promise! Every spare minute I have I'm in the shop working on them or the Cummins conversion.

2014 will be a really awesome year for MG Metalworks. There are some killer projects on the horizon! I can't wait to show progress pics of everything going on!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The seats are from a 2011 Toyota Sienna. I got them from a salvage yard that is located close to a Toyota factory so they buy take outs from vans destined to be outfitted for wheelchair access and seats with quality issues. I purchased 4 of the take-outs and 2 of the "quality rejects". There isn't much difference other than price...of course I find this out after I spent too much on the first 4. I did a pretty detailed write up about these seats over on the Expo forum. They are definitely comfortable and the leather is really nice.

I'm happy with seats in the front but they are much much different than the stock seats. You're IN the Sienna seat, not on top of a squishy mess like the Ford setup. It's taken a little getting used to for me but I'm happy I did it. My wife was in heaven from the first moment...as hard as she tries to keep me company on long drives, she can't fight off the sleep when sitting in these seats.

What bracket did you use to allow the seat to swivle like that? Im currently looking for the same seats and was the passanger seat to swivle 180. Great build btw awesome job
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote