Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #31

Re: My build so far

If you did not spray then how? Also how much dip and where did you buy.l?

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #32

I'm also interested in the results of the insulation for sound and temperature. This is pretty much how I was going to do my floor as well. Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and show the work along the way.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #33

Re: Sprayed on color change or ???

You mentioned that you had "the whole thing sprayed" and then later write that you did not spay the color change.
Please clarify as many of us would like to know more about it.

Was it spayed on or brushed on? How many coats did you apply? How long did the process
take as I imagine you had to sand down the white paint 1st?

The more details the better as it looks like a great alternative to paint given the cost to repaint nowadays.

thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #34

I took it as he 'had' it sprayed on. As in, someone else did the spraying.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #35

I need to paint my old Cherokee so I might buy a can and hit my roof and see how it holds up to Socal heat before doin a whole dippity do.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #36

Great write up 2horse! Very exctied to follow your build and progress.

For those asking about Plasti-dip. You can buy the cans/product at either Home Depot, Lowe's or online at sites like "https://www.dipyourcar.com", and it's basically an Aresol based rubber. It goes on in a liquid state and solidifies to consistency of what could best be described as a balloon (like the kind you blow up for birthday paties and give to little kids).

Other than wiping down the surface of what your coating, there is no prep work, you just spray over. To take it off you just start at one end and it peels off like rubber would off of a piece of metal. Works great and allows for cheap alternatives to paint, wraps and coatings. I will make a point that although it holds up to road/wind/rain/rocks/etc... well enough, it will come off if rubbed too much such as your legs might do on the rockers when climbing in and out of your van. I use Plasti-dip on certain parts and also to give me ideas on how I would eventually want to paint my Van when the time comes. And if there's a pattern that I don't like I just peel it off and try something different. But when I get in and out of my van the rockers below the doors have the plasti-dip peeling off.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #37

Great info, Spoolin', I've been playing around with it a little lately myself. I just did my lower plastic bumper covers (from gray to black). The guy on dipyourcar.com makes a great point in one of his videos that the stuff is not easy to wash, however. If you use a rough brush or catch an edge while trying to clean it you can start a bad peel. He sells a special cleaner/cloth for this purpose.
I realized a pretty good cleaner the other day. An old t-shirt and Armor All (or the like). It takes out dirt spots and scuffs and makes it so the lint or fibers of your rag don't catch on the rubbery surface of the dip. I'm not sure how this would work on a big area but it works great on small scuff spots so far.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #38

Garage

just a heads up. plastidip can be removed with high pressure water. so use caution when cleaning it at a carwash.

the guys around here spray thier nice wheels during the winter months to protect them against pitting and chemikills. once the weather breaks, they remove it with high pressure water. once you get it started peeling, it comes off pretty easily like mentioned.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #39

Sorry... I have been absent for some time. New job, lots of changes. Yes, the Plastidip can be sprayed off with high pressure, but that is why I had it done. I paid a local shop $500 bucks or so for the spray and labor. I am expecting 5-7 years out of it. I don't have a ton of other details. Pretty sure it is just one coat sprayed on. One of the best parts, if you are going to do it yourself, is that you dont need to tape much of the van off, as you can peel it off glass, bumpers, chrome pieces pretty easily.

I was up in the mountains this past weekend and got hailed on coming out of camp. No problems at all with the plastidip.

As far as the insulation and floor set up:

The fat mat worked great and was easy to install. The reflectix works well too, and makes a noticeable difference--- Although, I probably need to pull it down and redo it. I did 't take enough time putting it up the first time. Some of the seams and the roof are a little out of whack. The more the better on the carpet tape, but its a b*tch to pull down. That stuff is sticky.

If I were to do it again (and I might) I would NOT use the extruded foam insulation under the wood. I feel like the floor in general is a bit squishy and I am not sold it adds value. Lastly. I used WAY...WAY too much adhesive on the carpet tiles. I really wanted a way to replace worn, stained, burned, damaged pieces of carpet--- but I used so much adhesive its hard to get the carpet up.

I will try and be a little more present, but feel free to PM me. I will be responsive. I am not afraid to share all of the stuff I screw up.

More building / and pics to come. Hopefully good improvements.
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #40

My build so far

Good to hear from you Twohorse! Glad you're out enjoying your van. That's what they are for.

Eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote