Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

The Gnarhauler: Another white cargo van.

This is a duplicate thread to one I've started over on Expo Portal, but wanted to add a thread here as well since I've gotten a lot of inspiration from this site. I'll do my best to keep both threads updated in tandem. Anyway, on to the van!

First, a little behind the intent of this build. I'm a mountain biker, dirt biker, camper etc. I need a comfortable, secure way to transport myself, a few passengers and our gear to and from destinations while also offering somewhere to sleep and shelter from the elements. This will be less of a dedicated camper and more of a flexible, configurable gear and people transport.

I've been drooling over SMB/4x4 style Ford vans for some time now, I've always wanted to build one of my own. A little over two years ago I was ready to pull the trigger on a used cargo van to start converting, then I got cold feet. I ended up buying a brand new Tundra TRD 4x4 with plans to build it into an expo/overland style vehicle. I was really enjoying the truck and getting some modifications done to it. As time went on and I used the truck, I was quickly getting over beating up a brand new vehicle that I was still making payments on. The idea of a van was still burning in the back of my brain.

I put the Tundra up for sale this May, sold it private party a few weeks later and then began my hunt for a used van. The requirements for the van were: rust free, cargo van, EB, V8, sub-150k miles, sub-$10k, PW/PL and cruise control. After some searching, I came across a van that checked all the boxes minus CC. A 2006 E350 EB cargo. One owner with 125k miles on the clock. After some research I determined it would be an easy enough to add cruise later. I began the negotiation process with the seller and soon after was on a plane from Phoenix to San Jose to pick up my new-to-me van.

Van wishlist
AT tires-Complete
Small lift/suspension-Complete, for now.....
Floor with cargo tie down and seat attachment points-Complete
Passenger bench-Complete (may add third row if needed)
Roof fan-Complete
Aux battery-Complete
Cruise Control-Complete
Roof rack-Complete-ish
Insulation
Interior paneling
Power distribution
Interior storage
Stowable bed platform
Stereo-in progress
Solar panel
09+ front seats w/swivels
Awning
Solar shower
Cargo box

Picture of the van from the CL add.
EEDBA46D-D813-4360-8062-4D71312D06EC-33987-0000072D42FB6547.jpg

After a test drive and through inspection I was on my way back to Phoenix. I made to over 700 miles home in one shot, van did great. A little front end wobble around 65, I assumed due to worn out front end components, cruise control sure would have been nice.....
IMG_8269.jpg

Got the van home and did some interior cleanup in preparation for starting on CLD (constraint layer damper, AKA Dynamat) treatment of metal surfaces.
IMG_8331.jpg

Also made up a quick set of Reflectix window shades to protect the interior from the harsh AZ sun. I used metal tape to attach some small magnets around the perimeter to hold the shades to the metal window frames.
IMG_8275.jpg
IMG_8280.jpg

Took care of some necessary maintenance along the way. New Moog tie rod/dragling assembly, replaced a balljoint, oil change, coolant flush, AC recharge, new fluid and dif cover seal and an alignment.

Of course, the mandatory van right of passage. Step one, put a hole in the van.
IMG_8323.jpg

Step two, put a fan in the hole. I used the Hein adapter off Ebay, if anyone is wondering.
IMG_8329.jpg

Picked up a group 31 100ah deep cycle AGM battery to power said fan and other accessories. Found a nice steel battery cage online and used some 3/8" grade hardware to hang it off the crossmember. I went with the X2 (Batteries Plus house brand) because of the 4 year warranty. Phoenix heat is not kind to batteries, and if I do need to replace it in 18 months, it'll be nice to not have to pay for it.
IMG_8621.jpg

Until I got a floor in, this was my makeshift method for hauling my 250 XC-W around.
IMG_8363.jpg

Van out in the wild doing van stuff. First shakedown to the White Mountains and Sunrise Ski Resort, the only lift-acess mountain biking in AZ. The bike is an Evil Insurgent for those who may be wondering. That was the first time I'd ridden it since I built it up, absolute ripper with a 170mm Lyrik on the front.
IMG_8372.jpg
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote