Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonTamer View Post
How many sheets of ply did you use for the floor?
I cant 100% remember, but I am pretty sure I used 2 sheets.

aarcaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #112

Garage
Update:
-Well after a short hiatus from van work projects I got back to work on finishing up most of the remaining list of the interior. I was on another pressured timeline as I was trying to get the van done for a two-week trip that turned into one week as I, unfortunately, injured my shoulder and had to schedule surgery for the second week of our vacation. Knowing I will most likely be recovering for quite some time, I had a strong motivation not to leave any outstanding part of the van. So I picked up where I had previously left off with more work ahead of me than I realized. I tried to take some progress photos as I went, but probably not enough.

Door Updates:
-First project to tackle was to finish out the door panels. I started by locating and installing the molle panel using threaded inserts giving a nice and solid mounting for the molle panel. We decided, for now, to only mount the first aid kit and the element fire extinguisher.

-After the first door I started on the rear 40 door. We used the same rivnut threaded inserts to install a flip-up table which also doubled as a door for the top cubby. This table is made of ½” Baltic Birch that will eventually be laminated in Studio Teak. We may eventually add a drop-down table, but for now, we will leave it off and see if we really think we will need them.

-After the table, I went back to the 60 doors and added a handle using the same solid mounting process as everything else.

Electrical Updates:
-Next after getting a little more shoulder movement back after the initial injury I started on finishing out the remainder of lights. I used a waterproof LED strip tape light from superbrightled.com. Using the same one-button dimming modules I used in other areas I set up both the entry LED and the over counter under mount lights.

-Next up were the toe kick lights. I followed the same process but decided to sodered my connections to the tape since I didn't have much room for clearance. I also had to add a few pieces of wood to create a mounting point for the tape. I still need to come back and laminate these pieces black, but they should blend in nicely once done. Now that the lights are in the toe kick shadow reveal becomes a little more intentional. Not necessary, but it is a nice touch that provides some low lights for when hanging out in the van at night.

Toe Kick Test Install In Progress

Toe Kick Install In Progress (Excuse the mess)

Toe Kick and All Lights On

Just Toe Kick at 100% (With this harsher light you can see some of the manufacturing issues with the floor)

Just New Lights

Just New Lights

All Lights

Dimmed Lights

Plumbing Updates:
-After getting my main lights in I switched my efforts to the plumbing side of things. Sticking with the same theme I started with the wiring for the water pump. Since I am using two switches one at the shower and one over the galley I had to use a latching relay and two momentary switches. I had some trouble initially, but with some research and trial and error I figured that part out.

Bench Test For Latching Module.

-Then I started on the actual plumbing layout. Since I am working in a very tight space the packaging of it all had to be pretty dead on. So like most things I modeled my entire system on the computer first and then began the processes of replicating in the van. For components I am running a 21 Gal fresh water tank, 5 Gal gray water tank with an electric ball valve dump, a Bosch 4Gal hot water tank(may eventually convert to 12v w/ solar), a Guzzle stealth water filter, Aquor hose bib for both my tank fill and rear shower port and Shurflo 55psi water pump. I made sure I could still easily access all the main components for maintenance. I can still relatively easily access most things either from the cabinet below the sink or by removing one of the rear drawers.

Mechanical Layout ISO

Mechanical Layout ISO

Mechanical Layout ISO

-I used PEX for all my plumbing and decided to use a mix of crimp rings and push-to-fit connectors. This allowed me to build plumbing branches outside of the van where I had easier access and then slide them in and make the final connections using the push-to-fit connectors. Overall it wasn't too bad considering it was the first time ever doing plumbing or working with PEX. I was able to barely squeeze everything in and still have access to everything that I needed. So far it all seems to be working well!

Sorry for the Horribly Blurry Picture

In Progress Water Heater not Plumbed

In Progress Water Heater not Plumbed

Main Plumbing Under Sink

Main Plumbing Under Sink

Very tight fit! You can see the blue box is the electric ball valve.

-One note about my water heater choice. Since I was very limited on space that I had designated for the water heater I had limited options. I had originally wanted to go with a ISOtemp 5gal tank, but in the final real-world layout, I didn't quite have the space for it. I had thought I would be able to use a universal adapter plate to a standard 1” threaded heating element, but unfortunately, that was not the case. So for now I will run it using the stock heating element at 120v and see how well that works. In the future, I may need to talk to Ray(1der) about his custom dual voltage water heater set up and see if I could go that route.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #113

Garage
Your van is certainly coming together exceptionally well, looks like you've been building these critters for years! Thanks for all the work in sharing your build with the rest of us.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #114

Garage
+1. Super well done. Really looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #115

Garage
Let me enlighten you aarcaris, your posts are creating a "I want mine to look like that too!" anxiety for many of us.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Your van is certainly coming together exceptionally well, looks like you've been building these critters for years! Thanks for all the work in sharing your build with the rest of us.

Thank You! It's for sure been a labor of love involving lots of research and a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
+1. Super well done. Really looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Let me enlighten you aarcaris, your posts are creating a "I want mine to look like that too!" anxiety for many of us.
I'm just glad others like the choices we have made and are enjoying these posts! If it wasn't for others before me I for sure wouldn't have been able to create what I have. I'm excited to get the outside of the van to be as cool and functional as yours and others on here!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #117

Garage
update

Electrical Updates:
-After getting the plumbing pretty much done I went back to the electrical side of things and added some cabinet lights for our pantry and closet sections. We decided this was a worthwhile addition after using the van a bit more. Since the Cabinets are decently deep and laminated black on the inside they can be pretty dark without lights. I used the same led strip tape as everywhere else and used a simple pressure switch on the doors to control them. At the same time, I finished my pantry charging station which consists of 2 dual USB ports and 2 12v ports. I also added a cheap shower mirror I found on amazon to the inside of the pantry door.

-I also went back to my main electrical cabinet and cleaned up some of my wiring and got things a little better secured. Not the cleanest electrical, but overall I am happy with it especially considering it was my first time dealing with large cable.

Front Distubution section.

-I also finally got around to making my extension cable for the smartplug shore power plug. I was hesitant to add this to the build originally, but have to say I am happy I did! Very nice to top off the batteries at home before and after a trip.

Cabinet Updates:
-Next on my list was to finish up the remaining woodwork and laminate work that was needed. Starting with the pantry I added some adjustable shelf pin holes and cut and laminated a few shelves. Then I repeated the process for the closet. All the shelves are made of ½” Baltic Birch and are laminated black on both sides.

Pantry View without Internal Lights

Front Closet with Shelves and Lights

Rear Closet with Shelves and Lights
-Then I moved to the rear area that we have been referring to as the Nightstand. We created a little cubby/shelf area next to the bed behind the closet that houses a dual USB charging port that allows us to plug in phones, watches, etc. for charging at night.

Everything needs a good vacuum and wipe down. Currently down to one arm though so it will have to wait.

-Next up was the below bench storage box. This helps give the below bench area good storage, helps lock in the freshwater tank, as well as provides a good sight for tank levels. Instead of doing an actual tank gauge, we decided to go with the simpler backlit sight slot for tank levels. I wired up some more LED lights to a momentary switch and mounted it all up in the same cubby. I also at this time wired my gray water tank dump valve which is controlled through a momentary push button that will latch the valve open when released until you hit 100% open and then it automatically closes. So far it's been great and very convenient since it's so tight in the plumbing section.

MISC. Updates:
-Lastly, I went through and cleaned up a few odds and ends and laminated the remaining things I needed, and went ahead and tested all my systems.

Laminated Table

Laminated Table

Added magnets to stop rattles.

Final Door Layout

Secured battery shut off with through bolts.

Added lights to under bench cabinet.

Final Layout under sink cabinet. Still need laminate on Toe Kick wood.

Tight, but can still reach all the shut-offs and filter.

Up Next:
Everything has been working great and am happy to say I think I am pretty much done with our interior build. Like always I am sure that there will be other small things we will refine and add as time goes on, but for now, I think we can call it complete! For now, I will continue my research for which 4x4 conversion we are going to go with and continue to stash away the funds to get the exterior to match the interior of our van!

Here's a shot from our one-week trip up North. The color of the van couldn't have looked better in the coastal forest of northwest Washington!
Old 10-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #118

Wow very nice work! Everything looks well thought out and built very nice!

Do you have any pictures of the way it’s packed and organized for a week long trip?

Can’t wait to see what you do with the outside and 4x4.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #119
Site Team

Gorgeous interior, and I REALLY like how clean your plumbing install is. Straight lines, secured lines, very nicely done.

Herb
Old 10-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #120

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
Wow very nice work! Everything looks well thought out and built very nice!

Do you have any pictures of the way it’s packed and organized for a week long trip?

Can’t wait to see what you do with the outside and 4x4.
Thank you! I don't think I have any pictures of any interior spaces from our last trip, but I can say that packed for a week trip we still had plenty of room! I'll have to get some pictures of it fully loaded next time.

One thing that really helped keep things in order was the use of Packing Cubes.

Tags
build, build thread, homemade, homemadesmb