Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
... just to stop the internal debate.
That was good for a Chuckle - certainly rings true with almost every decision I've made with my rig.

Your progress is looking very good!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
You might want to try wrapping the foam pieces in a light, smooth fabric that will slide more easily. Just wrap and glue the overlap for a quick-and-dirty test.
I had thought about doing just that, then saw the thread on mattresses, which led to the post about tri fold toppers, which led to my purchase of the 4" tri fold mattress topper, which will achieve the same goal with no work. I'll test fit the new mattress tomorrow.

Of course all this raw foam and tri fold mattress product I now have is the wrong dimensions if I go to a dinette layout. Unfortunately the dinette is now stuck in my head as a superior layout. Damn this forum!

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #83

Lady Shadetree and I both agree the new mattress is very comfortable. Fit is good, with a couple inches gap on either side. The tri fold means it converts to storage mode easily. A lot to like here. Far superior in comfort and function than my raw foam pieces.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5041.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	25550

I still think we would like the dinette layout better, but this mattress eliminates the need to do anything immediately. I think I may start slowly collecting the parts I need to build the dinette, but put it off until the next lull in camping. We are coming into camping season and have quite a few trips planned. Bigger ones are Sedona, Arizona in early April, and Austin, Texas up to Western Oklahoma in June.

I added rear door pop out windows a while ago. At the time I just modified the plastic to accommodate the latches, which means there is gaping holes around them. Thanks to this forums classifieds I picked up these plastics to use instead, with a bonus that they include shades. Color is wrong but some vinyl paint should fix that. The bottom profile looks to be different than my van but we'll address that when they arrive.

Name:	rear window2.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	25552

Here's a pic of the area I need to address in finishing up the roof interior. The transition from the bulkhead to the headliner is unfinished. I should have come up with a solution before wrapping the bulkhead in material, but I got excited and forgot to address it. That raw edge of the headliner isn't too visible, but it would look better covered. The front bulkhead headliner is not cut as cleanly as this. My thinking now is to use some 1/8" x 1" metal and bend it to follow the profile, then wrap it in material. I added wood above the headliner I can screw the metal to the headliner, covering that edge.

Name:	IMG_5040.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	25551

Lady Shadetree is starting to claim the new top as her own.

Name:	IMG_5037.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	25553

Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #84

Maybe I missed it, what is the size of your top? Interior height? I really like the look of it and it doesnt look like the standard 24" bubble top that fiberine sells. Thanks!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #85

Subscribed, looking good!
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Maybe I missed it, what is the size of your top? Interior height? I really like the look of it and it doesnt look like the standard 24" bubble top that fiberine sells. Thanks!
It's a 24" top. Height inside in the highest areas is about 6'2", out towards the edges 6'0". As I got it out of the salvage not 100% sure its a Fiberine. But when I look at their website pics of a 24" bubble top on a Ford, it looks just like mine from all angles. With the different things I've fiberglassed and bolted onto mine it may alter the looks somewhat.

My 2 buddies have both added Fiberine tops to their Ford E350 EB vans. 1 van got the 16" Aerodynamic Top, the other van received an 18"" Aero Top that doesn't show up on Fiberine's site anymore. I can't stand up straight in either of their vans at 6' tall. In my van I can wear a hat.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #87

Great read! Thx for taking the time to document your build. I’ve also got the dinette bug and am hoping to see someone do it first so I can learn. Keep up the good work!
leedhambly@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #88

Quote:
It's a 24" top. Height inside in the highest areas is about 6'2", out towards the edges 6'0". As I got it out of the salvage not 100% sure its a Fiberine. But when I look at their website pics of a 24" bubble top on a Ford, it looks just like mine from all angles. With the different things I've fiberglassed and bolted onto mine it may alter the looks somewhat.

My 2 buddies have both added Fiberine tops to their Ford E350 EB vans. 1 van got the 16" Aerodynamic Top, the other van received an 18"" Aero Top that doesn't show up on Fiberine's site anymore. I can't stand up straight in either of their vans at 6' tall. In my van I can wear a hat.
Shadetree is that not the top I sold you?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #89

You didn’t sell me a top Vanimal. You sold my buddy Casey his top. This one came out of the San Bernardino Pick A Part.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #90

Quote:
You didn’t sell me a top Vanimal. You sold my buddy Casey his top. This one came out of the San Bernardino Pick A Part.
Gotcha I had you confused with Casey, at least your user names! I remember you coming to the house. Your project is coming along great GOOD job!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote