Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2024, 03:25 PM   #1

Garage
Intermotive Fast Idle iii for E Series

I found this overstock for $90 vs $200+ from distributer. I got one, there's one left.

https://skycraftsurplus.com/products...ystem-iii.html

Old 01-16-2024, 03:52 PM   #2

Garage
Good find, and a great deal...but does specify for 2009+ model E-350's.

My manual 'high idle' comes in handy for a variety of uses, more so when shore power isn't available & little to no sun to benefit solar (running the van for a little while just to dump some amp's back into the battery bank, occasionally starting the van when I intend to use the microwave for more than 4 or 5 minutes, letting the van heat up quicker in cold weather, etc). So convenient to accomplish this without having to be in the drivers seat w/foot on the pedal the entire time.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:53 PM   #3

Garage
I plan to use it for recharging in camp instead of a generator. Don't have solar.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #4

I installed an Intermotive Fast Idle on my Transit. Works as advertised, easy install.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:06 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I installed an Intermotive Fast Idle on my Transit. Works as advertised, easy install.
Yes, thanks for posting that. I have been thinking about fast idle controllers but there are very few available for the E250 and they are expensive and quite involved to install. When I read your posting, I searched for INtermotive and found the surplus units. Score!
Old 01-18-2024, 03:44 AM   #6

Garage
We have the oem equivalent. Besides the reasons TwoXentrix mentioned I love that it bumps up automatically when it sees a heavy draw like when we’re using our winch. It’s definitely nice for cold starts too, not that the 7.3 ever really warms up without driving.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:32 AM   #7

Is this substantially different than wiring up SEIC (Stationary Elevated Idle Control) per the body builder's layout book? Or just a pre-packaged way to do the same thing?

I have SEIC wired up to one of my upfitter switches. It was "free" with a relay and resistor I already had sitting around. I keep meaning to replace the resistor with a potentiometer so I can adjust the idle speed, but there really hasn't been a need.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:53 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Is this substantially different than wiring up SEIC (Stationary Elevated Idle Control) per the body builder's layout book? Or just a pre-packaged way to do the same thing?

I have SEIC wired up to one of my upfitter switches. It was "free" with a relay and resistor I already had sitting around. I keep meaning to replace the resistor with a potentiometer so I can adjust the idle speed, but there really hasn't been a need.
Yes, this one plugs into the diagnostic port and works by magic. I didn't want to diy it or try to find the right wires. I only need to find the port and a ground.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:02 PM   #9

Garage
Sorry no pics... I got the Intermotive fast idle installed today. The biggest "win" for the project was I used a toggle switch that I bought in 1967 for a 6th grade science fair project! That makes it 56 years old. I have re-used it over the years and the leads are shorter than when new, but I was able to crimp on some butt splices.

Anyways, the Intermotive fast idle works as advertised - flip the switch and it ups the idle to 1500 rpm. The OBDII port is still available, since the wiring harness has a t-connector. I did test the house battery charging before installation. The 200 amp-hr battery was at 90% and charged at about 20 amps at 650 rpm and same amps at 1500 rpm. I still need to test it with the house battery discharged deeper.