Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Davis CA
Posts: 8
Question 2002 5.4 Will it pass CA smog?

I'll ask around town tomorrow, but I realized this will be the deal maker/breaker for the rig we are test driving this weekend.

Assuming it's in good running shape with OEM cat. and exhaust, it should pass right??

Thanks.
__________________

Famous Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,740
It'll pass unless there is an issue... Plenty of 5.4s running around CA.
__________________

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Davis CA
Posts: 8
Thanks, my wife went straight to google. It turns out there is an issue with O2 sensors and the computer at the typical smog center. Unless we follow the "magic formula" to prep the motor pre test it won't pass. An appointment with the referee center is in store.
Famous Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,740
Never heard of that. There are loads and loads of 5.4 ford vans running around CA.. Can't imagine they're all going to the referee every two years.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BajaSportsmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,952
You are way over thinking this. Unless there is something wrong with it that should be fixed anyhow to use it, it will pass.
__________________
Four time Baja 1000 winner, four time Baja 500 winner. Solo'ed the Baja 1000 to LaPaz/Cabo twice.
4-Wheeling since 1972, Desert Racing since 1989.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
gcvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,508
My 97 and 03 passed easily. Nothing to worry about.
__________________
Greg
Old van: 1997 E250 EB30 (Stolen)
New van: 2003 E250 EB10
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Mockingbird View Post
Thanks, my wife went straight to google. It turns out there is an issue with O2 sensors and the computer at the typical smog center. Unless we follow the "magic formula" to prep the motor pre test it won't pass. An appointment with the referee center is in store.
If the rig is a Federal Version you will likely have an issue that will require the Referee to perform the smog check because the computer will be looking for a second O2 sensor that isn't there. It will fail on the initial OBD2 scan, everytime. You can do all the "prep" you want, drive 1,000 miles to reset the codes, etc., - still will fail because there ain't no O2 sensor there and the smog program has a glitch that will not allow the tech to input that the van is Federal. been there done that many times. The benefit of the referee is that the smog costs just $8

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...3-e350-sd.html

If it is a California van per under hood sticker, it should pass, unless other issues have arisen.
__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
If the rig is a Federal Version you will likely have an issue that will require the Referee to perform the smog check because the computer will be looking for a second O2 sensor that isn't there. It will fail on the initial OBD2 scan, everytime. You can do all the "prep" you want, drive 1,000 miles to reset the codes, etc., - still will fail because there ain't no O2 sensor there and the smog program has a glitch that will not allow the tech to input that the van is Federal. been there done that many times. The benefit of the referee is that the smog costs just $8

CA Smog Check Failure 2003 E350 SD - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

If it is a California van per under hood sticker, it should pass, unless other issues have arisen.
Did they have this on the 5.4? My understanding (and experience) was this is only V10s.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
skyrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 458
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
You are way over thinking this. Unless there is something wrong with it that should be fixed anyhow to use it, it will pass.
What Ramsey Said!
My '05, 5.4L passed with flying colors at 107K miles when I bought it.
__________________
__________________
George ><>
2005 5.4L E250 RB50 4x4 SMB
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Did they have this on the 5.4? My understanding (and experience) was this is only V10s.
Good question Robb. It may have only been V10. I guess the question is does the 5.4 CA have more O2 sensor/ heater than Federal? I don't have that answer.

On the other hand, you have lots of experience with out of state vans of various configs, so you are likely right. Also, gcvt's 5.4 van passed. It would be interesting to know if his was an original California spec van or federal. My experience (and your's sounds like it) was V10 based.
__________________

__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Biggie

Berta

At-At

Dirk/co
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×