If you follow our Instagram or Facebook pages, you may have seen a couple videos of the Cummins van pulling out of the driveway and running down the road. Good feeling all around knowing that the van runs and moves freely about the world now. As with any mega project though, it is not without some items to address. The Allison trans now being the bulk of those items.
The good news is that I was able to get the Cummins ECM and the Allison TCM to communicate directly with each other rather than having an intermediate "CAN Bridge" to handle communications. This is huge because it's like an OEM to OEM connection... rock solid, very little worry of a loss of communication.
The not awesome news is that I have a couple DTCs that may be related to each other that are causing a 'limp mode' condition in the trans. I started reading about the troubleshooting steps in the manual but playing outside with the kids sounded more fun so I put the ohmmeter away for the day. I can check the harness tomorrow.
Anyhow... the hardest parts of this build are over. Interior is coming up. Materials being ordered, parts on the way, new designs taking shape. Can't wait to use this van!
For those who are curious... Even with zero interior and only minimal sound deadening at this point, the Cummins is super quiet compared to the 6.0 and 7.3.