Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #21

Herb, I love the sound and feel of a diesel too but if looking for a new rig and considering a chassis cab or cutaway, why not go with a new 7.3 GAS model and get way more power, technology, efficiency, warranty, etc.?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Herb, I love the sound and feel of a diesel too but if looking for a new rig and considering a chassis cab or cutaway, why not go with a new 7.3 GAS model and get way more power, technology, efficiency, warranty, etc.?
Absolutely agree, but it's all balanced against dollars.

Ballpark estimates

4x4 conversion: $20K - $25K (assuming I have it professionally converted)
Interior conversion: $40K - $50K (assuming I have it professionally converted)
Vehicle cost: $25K - $60K

So I can be in this anywhere from $85K - $135K very quickly, so I'm trying to figure out my financial pain threshold.

The $60K is the estimate for a new service body van with a new 7.3L gas engine. A service body van will probably increase the price of an interior RV conversion versus an ambulance just because I'd be starting with no interior at all.

Herb
Old 01-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #23

I too like L2 run an exhaust with Bulldog variable tuner. I run 4.30 with 35"-36" tires. I have a Freightliner business class truck intercooler but nor in yet. Someday as of now don't need it but it's only partially loaded weight wise
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindisl View Post
I just installed the PHP Hydra chip yesterday and road tested it briefly. I don't have an EGT but plan on relying on the speedo, TFT and engine RPM to drive and tow safely.
TFT stands for "too far toasted" get a egt gauge.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #25

Ha! Great definition for TFT for sure.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
TFT stands for "too far toasted" get a egt gauge.
Thank you. I'm careful with dogmas and bandwagons, and also like to understand what I'm doing.

If I am carefully monitoring the speed, RPM, TFT, doing only the +65HP DD and Tow modes with the Hydra chip, and tow no more than 7700# gross, am I still liable to get into trouble real quick with extreme high EGTs? My reasoning is that one could avoid extreme high EGTs by monitoring the above available gauges and by being conservative driving. No?
Old 01-02-2022, 08:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindisl View Post
Thank you. I'm careful with dogmas and bandwagons, and also like to understand what I'm doing.

If I am carefully monitoring the speed, RPM, TFT, doing only the +65HP DD and Tow modes with the Hydra chip, and tow no more than 7700# gross, am I still liable to get into trouble real quick with extreme high EGTs? My reasoning is that one could avoid extreme high EGTs by monitoring the above available gauges and by being conservative driving. No?
Heat kills Diesel engines. You can’t guess EGT based off anything other than measured EGTs. There’s no reason to argue against it. In the end you’ll do what you like. An EGT gauge is the most important gauge in your pod, especially if you have a tune.
TCNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthwest View Post
Heat kills Diesel engines. You can’t guess EGT based off anything other than measured EGTs. There’s no reason to argue against it. In the end you’ll do what you like. An EGT gauge is the most important gauge in your pod, especially if you have a tune.
TCNorthwest - not arguing against the EGT gauge but simply trying to really understand the rationale behind it. Especially since there’s nothing better to do at the moment. OK, a potential danger scenario. Hot 95* summer afternoon, pulling a 7000# trailer up a 6000’ pass, going 45MPH in 2nd gear, willing to downshift to first and further slow down if necessary, watching the RPM, the coolant temp, the TFT. What could go wrong. If I had an EGT gauge what would I do different? Could the EGT temp rise dangerously if you’re not riding the throttle in the wrong gear at a too low RPM? Or trying to go too fast up the pass in the right gear but at too high an RPM, but monitoring the TFT?

I don’t know. Would anybody else who’s thinking along the same lines like to chime in? No disrespect intended.
Vindisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:55 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage
Hopefully the thread won't drift off Herbs original post... but my EGT gauge tells me when I have to downshift or in some cases pull over when going up a steep grade and the temps reach what I consider too hot. Also driving up a grade at a reduced speed when it's not necessary is something I like to avoid. I monitor ECT's, EOT's, TFT's, on both flat ground and climbing but when climbing I keep an eye on the EGT the most. I regularly drive my heavy van up a 26% grade with a off road trailer that pushes the limits on my rig and I'd hate to do it blind to EGT's with or without running a tune. Maybe it's a 6.0 thing, a weight issue or both for me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #30

I don't think this is off topic at all. The OP wants input and I believe this is critical to anyone with a diesel 7.3 van. All new vans have more sensors feeding the cpu. Being that our 7.3's had no intercooler i.e. more sensors restricting pedal to the metal driving styles, this topic is right on. As a past owner of dump trucks, the first thing I did before all these post came out on adaptable tachs and stuff from F series, I installed a Auto Meter tach and a pryrometer. Face it, our vans are loaded down with build outs, trailer towing, passengers, some may dismiss the value of both but with or without some sort of air cooling such as intercooler, propane or water injection..., knowing the temp and when to get off the pedal is very important to me. More important than knowing how heavy the trailer is or how steep the grade is!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote