Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #31

Re: Bullet proof question

Jwintersteller did a really great job and in his thread 'another vender vent' is the link to the vent he used. He also did an amazing job on his hood a few years later. I believe he posted that in another thread. I believe my 2010 hood is made out of metal and not fiberglass. His gallery hase really informative pictures...both his hood and fender vents on two sportsmobiles.

Joe. Will you do both or just the fenders?

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #32

I'm going to do the hood for sure. I'm not convinced on the fender panel vents but they look cool.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
Jwintersteller did a really great job and in his thread 'another vender vent' is the link to the vent he used. He also did an amazing job on his hood a few years later. I believe he posted that in another thread. I believe my 2010 hood is made out of metal and not fiberglass. His gallery hase really informative pictures...both his hood and fender vents on two sportsmobiles.

Joe. Will you do both or just the fenders?
Ketcham, are you referring to this thread? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14283&hilit=if+you+can%27t+ha ndle+the+heat
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #34

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6154&hilit=another+fender+ven t
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... =hood+vent

I was considering fender vents.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #35

Great info! This forum is awesome.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #36

5 year, 25,5000 miles:

This was discovered in my final phase of bulletproofing my motor. An entire bank of cylinders with evidence of water, rings rusted to the wall, overheated due to coolant. EGR delete placed at 5K miles. Coolant run clean, oil changed regularly (except one 18 month/10,000 miles), all synthetic. No coolant leak in last 2 years (5 years old). Leak was traced to split where coolant filter was placed. Jody Tipton's 80 hsp econo tune. Ran the van up 10% grade and had a cylinder #3 code--that was the one that was fried in the photos below. 10 miles later the Airdog 2 motor went out. Injectors in for testing but look normal. The van did sit for 1 month in November and 10 weeks in Jan-March. No evidence of power loss prior to cylinder issue. Did have turbo underboost and fuel pump circuit high that have been running for over a year. Turbo is in mint condition except for actuator ring (large ring that controls the variable veins) had corrosion. Billet inner will be placed.

Will replace 3 or 4 cylinders, and re-finish the cylinder wall.

Mechanic is scratching head...cylinder head measures normal but could be mildly warped...in for measurements.

I have my hypotheses. What are yours?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #37

Major bummer. Wow is all I can say. Hypothesis? Bad head gaskets? Never torqued properly? You did your EGR delete at 5K so what the heck.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
...Mechanic is scratching head...cylinder head measures normal but could be mildly warped...in for measurements...
Call Clay, owner of RiffRaff diesel over in Eagle Point, OR and get your van over there ASAP.

Herb
Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #39

This is the side that fails in a failed oil cooler. A egr will not fail at 5 k and with a delete is out of system. I did this early to avoid engine damage. Mechanic was pesented a dodge with head gasket off for the winter and hood closed outside. No evidence of rust from moisture. Moisture from air intake would have affected both banks. Head gasket had no obvious signs of leak. Maybe either under hot conditions gasket leaks. Rarely my egt wer to 1250. And only for a few minutes. Most often less than one minute. Aluminum melts in this range, I believe. Or maybe sitting there is zero oil pressure and coolant pressure is greater causing a slow leak as it sits. The coolant system has no evidence of oil or sludge. It is pristine. The other bank is pristine too.

Glad I discovered this now.

I will post further results. This van was a 2010. Did ford place a used motor in a new van? There was significant surface rust on the engine block when I bought the van from smb west.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #40

An EGR cooler will rupture if the oil cooler is clogged which is what you are implying, no? Did you replace the OEM oil cooler at 5K as well? If so, did you go OEM or an aftermarket one like the IPR or a Dorman?

I have a hard time believing Ford would put a used engine in a new van but stranger things have happened. There should be a way to figure out the production date on the engine built by International which was then supplied to Ford.