Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2023, 11:15 AM   #1

How many cats?

I am the original purchaser of a 2010 Ford E250 EFI 5.4L SOHC 2-wheel drive van sold by Fresno SMB with RV mods for propane, electric, water, gray water, frig, and custom interior features. All engine parts are stock and no modifications were ever authorized, including the exhaust system. Nothing but oil and air filters has ever been replaced in this van and it runs great with no indication of any engine problems.

Last year I asked my local Washington State Ford dealer (the only shop I have ever taken my van to other than SMB in Fresno) about a lot of rust I could see on the driver side catalytic converter. The rep had the mechanic take a look and a verbal came back that there was no problem, just minor adherent surface rust.

This year I went under the vehicle to vibe scribe my license plate number onto my cats and found the heat shield was missing from the driver side cat. I only saw two cats, one on each side attached to a y-pipe (maybe a t-pipe config, I can't remember) connected to the single exhaust muffler.

I went back to the dealer, who has completed multi-point inspections for me for 12 years and never identified that missing heat shield. I ordered the part because I was uncomfortable with the thought of having to make an emergency stop on the side of the road where there is no place to park except over long dry grass.

The heat shield was identified by my Ford dealer in a Ford E150/E450 TE4 2005- Catalogue from a drawing with part numbers, Copyright 2004-2022, Print Date 3/20/23, Section 309-04/05B HEAT SHIELDS - EXHAUST SYSTEMS, 5.4 SOHC 16V (5.4L MODULAR SOHC V8, ALL REG/EXTENDED VANS/... for my VIN and a Build Date of 1/11/2010. The part cost $422 plus $100 for labor to install before tax. When the mechanic got the part he could not install it and I got my money back.

The mechanic said I have only three cats, one on the driver side and two on the passenger side, when I should have four, two on each side according to the drawing. They marked an "x" through the second cat towards the rear on the driver side where Part 5E258 goes on the drawing. I only saw two cats when I was vibe scribing them, so maybe the second passenger side cat is further up in the engine compartment where I didn't notice it. Anyhow, the heat shield could not be installed without modification without hitting the manifold the existing cat butts up to (i.e., cut off one of three attached part segments to remove part 5E258E leaving 5E258C and 5E258D for install to fit). I passed on the offer to modify the part to make it fit which they thought wise since they said it might add noise and the van can continue to be driven as is.

The mechanic concluded since I don't have the stock four cats, someone must have modified my exhaust system. If the Ford parts Catalogue is correct, either the San Fransisco Bay area dealer who sold the van to SMB West or SMB West modified my exhaust system without telling me and I have no documentation of this mod being done (I kept all paperwork).

Can anyone clue me in?

thx!

P.S. There is another thread on this but it's old and I couldn't get my reply to post...

joey2coolagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #2

There are only two catalytic converters. One on the left and one on the right upstream of the Y connection.

There are four sensors. 2 upstream of the cats and two at the cats

What you saw with your own eyes is correct. You have a stock system I would bet.

Save yourself the headache and ignore the heat shield or have have basic mechanic install it. Someone is overthinking it.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #3

I can tell you that my 2007 with the V10 definitely has 4 cats...all with heat shields that make a lot of racket until the cats get hot.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:38 PM   #4

Yes the 6.8 V10 has 4 cats. The 5.4 V8 has two
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:05 AM   #5

Rockauto.com can be a useful tool for looking at stuff like this. One of the catalytic converter options is a two-piece system as described.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...converter,5808
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Yes the 6.8 V10 has 4 cats. The 5.4 V8 has two
Not all of em. My 2011 V10 most definitely does not have 4 cats. I think it might have two. I figured one or two had been removed before I bought it but the exhaust guy said he saw no variance from OEM under there, nor could I. All factory junctions and OEM pipe, all uniform.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Not all of em. My 2011 V10 most definitely does not have 4 cats. I think it might have two. I figured one or two had been removed before I bought it but the exhaust guy said he saw no variance from OEM under there, nor could I. All factory junctions and OEM pipe, all uniform.
My 2011 V10 has two cats as well, one per side before the Y. The exhaust was clearly modified by Quigley to clear the front driveshaft, but when I was shopping for replacement cats (mine are old and have died) I purchased a Magnaflow "direct fit" exhaust that also had two cats. (I ultimately decided not to use the MagnaFlow because it would have required modification, so it is cheaper and just as easy to R&R the cats with the existing exhaust piping.)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
My 2011 V10 has two cats as well, one per side before the Y. The exhaust was clearly modified by Quigley to clear the front driveshaft, but when I was shopping for replacement cats (mine are old and have died) I purchased a Magnaflow "direct fit" exhaust that also had two cats. (I ultimately decided not to use the MagnaFlow because it would have required modification, so it is cheaper and just as easy to R&R the cats with the existing exhaust piping.)
Yep, I verified today. Two just like you on each side before the Y. Mine was modified by Quigley as well but was done as new so the exhaust under there is all uniform age, etc.

I wonder how the Magnaflow would sound on the V10? i had my muffler only replaced just about a month ago because it was looking it's age. I went with a muffler shop 'no name' performance muffler and it did wake the van up quite a bit but I have a drone just off idle that I don't love. Idles quiet and sounds great (basically stock) but has a little drone.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:54 PM   #9

I'd be curious about a Magnaflow or other aftermarket exhaust as well. The particular Magnaflow part I bought (52294) was just the cats and Y-pipe, not the entire exhaust. It was well made, with nice mandrel bends and a Y that looked like it would flow well, but I don't know that you'd really see any performance or sound benefit.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #10

Just wondering out loud here, but Ca has rules that most other states do not. You may have a one off or one of a group that was built like that to pass the more stringent codes from Ca.
Or, it could be that they used a configuration from the previous or next year model. These larger vans do not have a dedicated line to build them, they build until they have a bunch and change the line. Sometimes things get changed when they make the next batch.
rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote