Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Something to consider regarding the 5 Star tune. I have had mine for over ten years, and it has never been an issue until this year. I have a 2001 E350 6.8L V10. I took it to get smogged this year, and the local place that has done my smogs for years told me they couldn't do the smog check, and I needed to take it to a "referee" smog station. Turns out the referees are the instructors that teach people how to do smog checks.

Obviously, I wasn't too pleased about this, but having no choice, I booked my appt. at the referee station, which happens to be at Golden West College which was not far from my office.

I ended up passing, but not without the testing station calling the state to get approval to pass me. The issue was with the 5 Start tune. Apparently the aftermarket tune was the reason why I couldn't get the local smog station to smog the vehicle. Their computers are getting more sophisticated, and can sense that the stock tune is not on the vehicle, and I was flagged to go to the referee. The referee told me that the State is not sure which of these vehicles are required to "self monitor" themselves, and which are not, and that is why they let me slide, as they are still figuring this out. The referee told me I may run into this again in two years when I have to smog it again.

Just some food for thought. I love the 5 Star tune, and wouldn't change anything, but information about potential challenges down the road is always good I figure.
Every tuned van I've had stored the original tune on the device when it loads the upgraded tune. All you have to do is plug the device in and swap back to OEM, takes about 5 minutes. Then your van is OEM in their eyes, smog it, put the 5 star back on again afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THaley View Post
I'm a bit confused, whats the advantage of the 5-star tune. Why do some have it and some don't?
Well, there is no MPG advantage to it but it's an aftermarket performance tune for Ford engines. Check out their website. There is a lot of power to be found in these engines by simple electronic tuning (changing shift points, fuel mixture ratios, etc.). No shortage of info online about this. Youtube 5 Star Tune and you'll find a million videos and comparisons. For a Ford Triton (v8/v10) the improvement is well worth the $500ish cost, unless it's gone up.

https://5startuning.com/

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #32

Quote:
I'm a bit confused, whats the advantage of the 5-star tune. Why do some have it and some don't?
It add a little power. More if you also have upgrade the intake and exhaust. The biggest improvements though is with the transmission shifting strategy. Less downshifting and hunting, gears are held a little longer when accelerating. Torque converter stays locked up more and line pressure are increased resulting in cooler trans temps.

For my setup, with my 12' tall 13,000 pound trailer, 5-star is basically the difference between towing in overdrive, or towing without overdrive because it would otherwise be constantly shifting. And that nets me about 2 MPG.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:26 AM   #33

The best and only guaranteed way to improve the mileage of any vehicle is drive more slowly. How you drive has a huge impact in your mileage...more than any accessory you will ever bolt on or remove.

To me, trying to compare your mileage to what someone else is getting is just silly...unless you drive like they do you won't get the same gas mileage. When I loan any of my vehicles or motorcycles to more "conservative driving" friends they get drastically better mileage than me. One of my friend gets 10-12mpg better than me driving any of my bikes and always gets 5-7mpg better when driving my truck or van.

S=$ where S = speed

Altitude also has a noticeable impact in fuel economy, so that should also be considered when comparing numbers at the bar...or forum. ;-)
fjefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #34

Quote:
My V10 performs much better with the tune. The shifts are crisper and it feels more responsive in the throttle. My preference is the 91 octane tune since the van feels like it has more power but with gas prices in CA I have been sticking with the 87 octane tune.

The below is from their site and I agree with it after having their tune for years:

“From the factory, your vehicle’s computer is calibrated for the masses, designed with the average driver in mind, not the performance enthusiast. This not only leaves valuable horsepower & torque hidden inside your vehicle, but it also makes for a mediocre driving experience. Our tuners unlock your vehicle’s hidden performance by re-calibrating your vehicle’s PCM for maximum horsepower & torque, increase throttle response, clean shift points, increased efficiency and the best driving experience possible.

More Performance & Less Downshifting! 5 Star Tuning’s Custom Dyno Proven UP to 42 HP & 75 TQ tune files on our 3V 6.8L Tiffin optimize the vehicle’s Air/Fuel Ratio, Engine Timing & Fuel Curves for Maximum Performance, Improved Shifting without the High Revving headaches all while maintaining OEM reliability.“
rltilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #35

I’ve got an 07, v10, 4x4 with a Fiberine bubble top , van sits just about 10’ tall. With the 5 star eco tune, I’m pretty much at 10-12 all the time on the highway going 65-70 mph
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #36

Interesting thoughts on mileage. Many have merit.
This mileage test was run on 5/24/2021.
Vehicle: 2003 E350 SMB 4X4 7.3 286,734 miles at starting point.
Cedar City, Utah to Bishop, CA
Cedar City 56 west to Nevada 319. US 93 to Nevada 375 northwest to US 6 to Bishop, CA.
410 miles required 20 gallons to refill tank. ='s 20.5 mpg
Cruise Control set at 55 mph, max 62 mph.
Very light traffic so cruising was consistent.
Air temp was 65* & no wind. Beautiful snow capped peaks as there was a recent storm.
A simple key to mpg is MPH. This should translate to most vehicles.
I love the desert west so a 55 mph speed allowed for more absorption of the scenery I adore.
HighCountryMike 2003 7.3 SMB 4X4
P.S.
Fuel in Cedar City, Utah $3.16 / Bishop, CA $4.00
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #37

6.0 PSD Value pack ��
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #38

For comparison on speed - 6 days behind HighCountry's stats
2001 7.3 e350 SMB 282k mileage - same route and conditions - Cruise control speed 65-70 - MPG 16.2

The skinny pedal on the right is the MPG control
mjcleland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg e350 4x4