Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #41

Re: Oil Cooler System and EGR replacement now avail for E-se

Brent ,
Absolutely and the engine runs a little cooler because of the increase in torque and horsepower
I had Shawn at Zylstra's install the Edge Platinum he then reconfigured my stock settings on his PC . You then drive for five hundred miles as you would do normally and the unit learns your driving habits and will shift accordingly . On my unit you have five settings Stock , Mileage , Towing , Drive , Race , and Extreme . There is a noticeable difference between these settings and as Shawn suggested I keep mine set at Driving unless I am towing one of the boats or the Utility Trailer at which time I change to the Tow mode making for longer shift times while pulling grades . This is where I have noticed the most benefit in Oil , Trans and Water temperatures , typically I keep it in the Drive #3 setting with much improvement in power . When I was up at Zylstra's last time Shawn told me to occasionally go to the #5 Extreme setting , while cruising on long flat stretch's of highway . This seems to make the engine run without any labor and seems to reduce the RPM's while maintaining your chosen speed.
I have on a couple occasions had to use passing gear while on the #5 setting and is really amazing at the controlled power available .
Greggd

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #42

If a new 6.0L engine is $6500 plus labor, does it make sense to bulletproof the existing one for over $8000?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #43

A new one would still have the same issues right?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #44

Greg, did you do any "bullet proofing"'before the tuner?

What HP & Torque are you getting on the different levels?

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #45

No I have not done the Bullet proofing , I contacted them on three different occasions and was told that they were working on a Van Specific system and was told that they would contact me when they were available but have not heard anything from them so I probably will not install their system . I have had Zylstra's build an Air Box , Cat back 4" exhaust , and of course the Edge Platinum Tuner , I followed Herbs advice and installed the Mag Hytec Transmission pan which
has helped with trans temps and smoother shifts . I haven't had the Van on the Dyno since the addition of the Edge unit but at setting #3 would estimate at least a 60 horsepower gain . I DO Not DO any Hard Accelerations , just nice steady application of power as I feel that the drivetrain could be severally taxed . I am always amazed at the Vans ability to pull known grades with the Edge Controller , little or no down shifts and this means better temper control
I am able to read a number of engine temperatures with the unit and have it set to read EGT , Oil , Water and Transmission . It has an auto idle feature to allow the engine to run when turbo temperatures are higher than normal and will bring the engine back to proper operating temperatures before shutting down even though the ignition has been turned off , and a fuel over ride feature that limits your engines capability to overheat itself .I been very pleased with this addition , and Colley Ford where I have warranty issues taken care of has no problem with this addition and have been told by their two Diesels Mechanics that it was good addition at the proper settings .
Greggd
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #46

Greg,
I've had zylstra do the same mods to my van, except the edge tuner.

My reluctance to go with a tuner of any sort was concern about operating temps. I figured that any boost in power would come at the expense of higher temps, and perhaps stress on the head gaskets.

Do I understand right that you are getting improved power (and adjustability) with no increase in temps?

Interesting if so, and since my tech knowledge is nil, I've got to wonder what a tuner does to achieve that outcome.

Thanks
Rob
Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
A new one would still have the same issues right?
If you manage to break it, you would know you need the bulletproofing and it would probably be more economical to bulletproof it before it goes in. And that's assuming the entire engine goes- there is rebuild, replace HPOP, replacing stretched bolts, all of which are less expensive than a brand new one, which is less expensive than "preventative" bulletproofing.

Just throwing it out there. My warrant is up in 5K, and my viewpoint might change radically then!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #48

Rob ,
I like yourself know very little about the Diesels and my experience over the last 9months and 8,000 plus mile of various trips has been that I am running stronger and a little cooler . I kept track of a couple trips pulling our 24 foot Bay Ranger Boat to San Diego Bay and Pyramid Lake
on the Grapevine and in both cases I down shifted less and watched the temperatures stay at a nearly constant 215 degrees while pulling the steeper gradients . On previous trips under nearly identical conditions I was at 220 to 224 degrees and had the auto fan going off and on the entire time and had to down shift to 3rd gear on 5 occasions and 2nd gear once when slowed by a laboring 18 wheeler in front of me . My reasoning as uneducated as it might be is the temperatures are staying down as a result of the additional horse power and I noticed that at the completion of of a steeper section's of the these grades that temperature's would immediately drop down to more desirable levels and the engine would mellow out as sooner than previous trips . On a trip to Moab last Fall I pulled I- 70 with the Utility Trailer filled with
Camping Gear and my wife's 800 Outlander Ltd in 80 degree weather and only had the fan come on 4 times for short periods and only downshifted to 3rd gear 2times on the entire grade. I ran this entire trip at setting#2 Towing !
All three of my children were along in their E-350 Quigley V- 10's were amazed at the speeds that I maintained and on a couple of occasions I actually had to pull to the side of the road and wait on them . It would seem that the additional power at lower temperatures at the beginning of a grade allow for easier going thru the steeper sections of the road . I would also add that I use the FORD Cetene Booster religiously on the longer trips and the Opti Lube that Mike mentioned in one of his post's the rest of the time , I also cut all of my service schedules in half . Joann my Bride even comments frequently that the Van sure is running good which always drop's my eyes to the gauge for verification and a flash of happy .
Rob you are close enough that you could drive our Van and see if you notice any desirable difference before you make any decisions , I think we are very similar in size and weight .
Greggd
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #49

Greg, I have an Edge Tuner on my Chevy 2008 Dually Diesel and it makes a huge difference towing our trailer and truck camper up the grades From the desert/river etc. I pull 65 instead of 55 and can pass if needed. Similar results to yours. I have the tuner set to reduce power if the EGT exceeds the preset limit so I don't have to worry about it although i still watch it all the time.

It is so much better to drive on all levels with the tuner. Great to hear your results with a tuner in the van are similar.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #50
Site Team

Brent, those wheels really are turning in your head aren't they?

Like Greggd, I always run with a fuel additive as well. I ran Stanadyne Performance formula for a long time, but switched to OptiLube summer blend (much cheaper). If I were to spend a long time in a cold winter area, I'd go back to one of the remaining bottles of Stanadyne (which has anti-gelling properties) that I have.

Herb