Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 06:42 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I too have AAA under their "Plus" program and while not any sort of RV or SMB-type vehicle owner this concerns me---I'm a member strictly to have access to their 100 mile towing option. I'd sure hate to call for service only to have them arrive and refuse to tow my 2005 E-350 EB with fiberglass raised roof. I will say I'm a fully paid yearly member of the "Ohio AAA Auto Club"---I wonder if these issues as reported here have more to do with which state our membership originates or purchased?

As for them essentially refusing to honor their claimed services were I to face these sorts of transparent challenges I'd simply lie; not the most honorable tactic for certain but I'll be damned if I'm inconvenienced well after my payment had been accepted and TOS spelled out.

I hate hearing stories like this from anyone and hope to hear more if PJPVI escalates and/or pursues any action relating to this issue.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool120 View Post
heard some rumblings about it being an RV
There is always this unsettled confusion about the definition of "RV". When does a van legally become an "RV"? Seems like it's left up to subjective interpretation - it changes depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
There is always this unsettled confusion about the definition of "RV". When does a van legally become an "RV"? Seems like it's left up to subjective interpretation - it changes depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is.
…And there may be where the RVIA sticker comes into play.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
…And there may be where the RVIA sticker comes into play.
That makes complete sense, but I just asked AAA about it. They said, "Well if it has plumbing and .. bla bla .. then MAYBE .. bla bla". Translation: "we'll invent reasons on the fly for why you wont be covered".
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #15

Like others said, get the AAA RV coverage. I just encountered the same problem. They're likely struggling to stay profitable with all the van life tows on mom and dad's AAA plan. Foremost Insurance comes with "free" tow coverage. The tow we got two weeks ago was $1200. In the end, they came through for us.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:03 PM   #16

I had three bad experiences with AAA Roadside Assistance in 2022. In April had a blowout in my 2006 E350 on I-5 south of Sacramento. I had a frozen lug nut which appeared to be beyond my capabilities so called AAA for assistance. Dispatcher said it would take about 3 hours for them to reach me. At the 2 hour mark they called me back and told me they had to send the Highway Patrol to my location to assess if I was in a safe location. 45 min later, a CHP Officer showed up and was very helpful. Between his help, and application of heat, WD-40 and leverage, we were able to free the frozen lug nut and get me back on the road. About an hour later (4+ hours) I finally got a call from the AAA tow driver saying he was on his way to my location. I told him I no longer needed them.

In July, I broke down on I-80 in between Sacramento and my home in Reno from a seized AC compressor which caused the Serpentine belt to break. Called AAA who told me they could flatbed my E350 to a repair shop in Reno but would take them about 3 hours to get to me.
At the 2.5 hour mark AAA called to inform me they could take me to the Calif/Nev boarder in Truckee, but couldn’t take me all the way to Reno that night but could take me the rest of the way into Reno two days later. I was pissed that AAA had again strung me along for over 2 hours. I had to scramble to find another tow company. The tow driver I found suggested I submit a claim to AAA since they were unable to deliver on their tow promise. I submitted a claim for the $1050 tow charge I was out of pocket and received a refund from AAA for $77 with the explanation that the van didn’t qualify because it’s an RV.

Then in Aug I had another AC compressor seize in my parents driveway in Paso Robles. The compressor was preventing the engine from turning over. I called AAA to tow me to the local Ford Dealer, about 6 miles away. The AAA dispatcher told me my E350 didn’t qualify for their tow service because I hadn’t paid for their RV service.

I now have roadside assistance through Good Sam.