Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Resonant Moan / Droan

I just wanted to describe a 'problem' I've had and a solution I discovered. Interestingly, my problem and the solution are nearly identical to those of the Baders, described here:

http://www.badgertrek.com/sportsmobile/vehicle.shtml

I had a resonant moan/droan that began at about 1100 rpm and peaked in intensity (volume) at about 1500 rpm, and was gone by 1900rpm or so. It was almost louder than the engine, and could be felt as a slight vibration in the foot area at it's peak. Based on Erik's write up, I decided to take my exhaust apart to check things out. The one thing that's crucial to this is a universal joint for the socket set, since nearly everything is in a confined space. Besides this, a basic metric set plus wrenches will do.

I disassembled the pieces connecting the headers to the turbo, and then the post-turbo pipe (downpipe)...3 pipes in total. After looking around with a good flashlight and these pieces removed, I noticed a bolt just sitting under the turbo, on the engine block. It turns out that this bolt was one of three that connects the turbo the it's pedestal, the back one just as Erik describes was missing in his unit. Sadly, my turbo had been rebuilt by the dealer less than a year ago, and I'm sure their inattention lead to my situation. This whole process took only a couple hours.

I replaced this bolt, and tightened every other bolt I could reach (hardly any of them would budge), and put everything back together. A test drive results in my noise being very greatly reduced, but not totally gone. I may go back and re-torque some of the exhaust junctions, but probably not any time soon. It's good to know everything is back together like it should be, but disappointing to think that the dealer didn't/couldn't do it. I'm still under bumper to bumper warranty!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

Re: Resonant Moan / Droan

The missing turbo bolt is very common. One of mine was missing, and I've been around another 6.0 that didn't appear to be missing one, but I saw a bolt laying in the valley! (maybe one of the fronts)
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Re: Resonant Moan / Droan

Did you notice any noise associated with your situation, or lack of noise after you replaced it?

For anyone interested, here's a copy of the TSB Ford issued about a moan/droan caused by the turbo:

6.0 Moan/Droan Between 1500-2000 RPM:
Engineering has investigated this condition and found the cause to be engine firing pulses causing the turbo mounts to vibrate/resonate. For trucks built through 9-29-03 install a revised turbo pedestal, P/N 3C3Z-6N639-BA. Trucks built after 9-29-03, install a turbo bracket A-brace, P/N 5C3Z-6N639-BA. If the draon is still present after installing the brace on trucks built from 9-30-03 through 1-17-05, replace the turbo pedestal with 5C3Z-6N639-AA. Ensure the droan is not caused by a bound exhaust system. Inspect for any damaged or broken exhaust hangers. Check the turbo downpipe by loosening the pipe at the top and bottom, checking its alignment and retightening. If the droan is still present, check the part number embossed on the turbo pedestal just below the turbo compressor outlet to the intercooler. If the number IS NOT 1846207C1, replace the pedestal with the above part. After replacement, or if the number IS 1846207C1, loosen the turbo inlet pipes and EGR cooler flange and neutralize by installing the components in this order: snug the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes; torque the EGR cooler clamp to 53 in/lbs; torque the pedestal bolts to 23 ft/lbs; torque the turbo inlet clamp to 9 ft/lbs: snug the inlet pipes to manifolds. Ensure all components are properly aligned. Torque the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes to 20 ft/lbs and the inlet pipes to the manifolds to 20 ft/lbs. Broadcast Message 0992, SSM 17530, TSB #04-9-4 & 05-19-12.