Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #1

Transmission shops

I have a 2001 E250 with a 4r70W transmission. For the last three years it has been hesitating slightly when taking off. That’s to say that when I press the accelerator from a dead stop, it often times (but not always) doesn’t immediately move but it hesitates for half a second before it engages and begins moving. After that it works completely normally. This doesn’t happen all the time, but often enough that I’m concerned. Today I took it to a transmission shop and had a talk with the owner. After explain the symptoms he said it may be that the filter is clogged or more likely the front pump is going out. I had him drop the pan so we could inspect the filter and change the fluid. Then he noticed that the magnet on the pan had some very fine metal filings which he said were fine, but there were a couple very small chunks of metal which he said were from the front pump. He said that pretty well confirms his diagnosis that the front pump is failing and he quoted me $3800 plus labor for what he said was a heavy duty rebuild. So, if the front pump is failing, why not replace just the pump? I know that the clutches, bands, seals etc are not new, but a new pump can be had for under $150 and it looks to be right under the bell housing and easy to install. I know it could be several other things causing the issue too, but he was certain it was the pump just by looking at the couple little metal chunks. So I could save $3700 by installing a new pump myself, but I wonder if that’s really the issue. Additionally, rebuilt 4R70W’s are all over the internet for between $1200 (Monster transmission) to $1800 (Jegs) with a 3 year warranty. Another thought is that since it's been doing this for 3 years, perhaps I should just live with it. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:06 PM   #2

I have the same transmission....

I was bored a few weeks ago and watched endless youtubes of 4r70W rebuilds. I would do this myself.....either drop the trans and replace the pump or while you are in there replace the misc bands etc. It appears that the pump is sub $200 online.

..or if you are lazy (haha!) just replace the trans.....

I'm presently re-gearing both axles from 3.73 to 4.10 and installing trutracs....similar thing; I've never done that before either but learning a lot. I think I've installed/removed the pinion at least 16 times now and the carrier/ring gear at least 10 times......not to mention painted the teeth and got a pattern at least 10 times too. It's an iterative process that involves lots of shimming, and arithmetic.

I figure doing all this myself means that if it pukes later I have no one to blame except myself.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:38 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
... He said that pretty well confirms his diagnosis that the front pump is failing and he quoted me $3800 plus labor for what he said was a heavy duty rebuild. So, if the front pump is failing, why not replace just the pump?
... I know that the clutches, bands, seals etc are not new, but a new pump can be had for under $150 and it looks to be right under the bell housing and easy to install.
...So I could save $3700 by installing a new pump myself, but I wonder if that’s really the issue.
...Additionally, rebuilt 4R70W’s are all over the internet for between $1200 (Monster transmission) to $1800 (Jegs) with a 3 year warranty.
...Another thought is that since it's been doing this for 3 years, perhaps I should just live with it.
Think the real dilemma is more you know you have an issue and really don't know to what extent. To address your last comment; how high will your confidence be that a quick fix will protect you from being stranded someplace very inconvenient (I bring this up since it seems you do quite a bit of "exploring" on your own in remote areas).
With that in mind, I'd be compelled to address the whole unit now. And, to your point, seems an already rebuilt purchase would be more economical (and provide a warranty).
I would at least upgrade the torque converter if you go with an OEM replacement.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:47 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm fortunate knowing a few reliable and highly experienced transmission rebuilders, most are of the part time variety and working terrifically inexpensive. Their work is flawless, they claim its an easy process which might be the case. Of course anything is "easy" if you have the experience, tools, work place and access to parts, supplies and everything else needed.

However in your case AT I'd shop around for someone local whose built a following or garnered good reviews all around, one who offers and stands behind some sort of warranty. That too would be important to know--how someone handles their own warranty issues says mountains about their work.

You don't state your current mileage or the maintenance routine on your existing 4R70W but I'll suggest if one part is showing issues it suggests other internal components might not be in much better condition. Replace one part and another fails soon after then any savings you might have enjoyed quickly disappear.

Another problem with any transmission work especially on the E-Series is removal and re-installation. Parts of the exhaust system will need to be removed which is fraught with its own problems. The list of what could/will go wrong only grows longer the deeper into this you go.

I know dropping $3,700 on a 2001 seems a hefty cost but as you mention is being stranded roadside far from home a risk you're willing to take?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #5

https://www.oregonperformancetransmi...-4R70W-RB.html
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Thanks for that, but after viewing several Utube videos it became clear that there’s no way I want to chance doing this myself. One check ball missing, a seal installed backwards, or a snap ring misplaced wouldn’t be apparent until the transmission was reinstalled. That’s too far above my pay grade. How’s your rebuild coming?
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
How’s your rebuild coming?

Front axle done..D60 re-geared+Eaton TruTrac....after a bazillion shim changes, backlash checks and painted patterns it's all good.

Now on to the rear axle....2008 D60 FF RSC....has 32 spline shafts, so I think I'm gonna be limited to what I can do differential-wise. I'll likely replace the LSD clutches and re-gear to 4.10's....I don't think Eaton makes anything for 32 spline.
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #8

[QUOTE=boywonder;301210]Now on to the rear axle....2008 D60 FF RSC....has 32 spline shafts, so I think I'm gonna be limited to what I can do differential-wise. QUOTE]

When I did my FF D60, I upgraded to 35 spline Cro mo axles and a Truetrac, and had to replace to carrier to accommodate the bigger axle, but I'm not sure if the old carrier would have worked with a Truetrac. I will say I really like the Truetrac though, it works well.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
When I did my FF D60, I upgraded to 35 spline Cro mo axles and a Truetrac, and had to replace to carrier to accommodate the bigger axle, but I'm not sure if the old carrier would have worked with a Truetrac. I will say I really like the Truetrac though, it works well.

Yup..it appears that's my choice as well......35 spline axles + Truetrac or just put new clutch packs in the stock LSD...still deciding.
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #10

I just had the 4R75 in my 06 E350 lose OD and start making some funky noises, shop I take the van to (which just happens to be a transmission shop) told me it needed a full rebuild. Total cost with labor and tax was around $3800, but now I have a "new" transmission with a 5 year/100k warranty honored by a nationwide network of transmissions shops. Piece of mind is worth something to me, plus the time and effort it would have taken for me to attempt to do all the work myself.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote