Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #101
Site Team

I wonder if Amsoil will take the EA026 filters back and apply the credit towards the alternative filters?

Herb

Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #102

amsoil

I talked to Jim, He said they would take back the ea026 filters.( I have 5 of them) However he wanted me to take them to the Las Vegas warehouse. Iam not going to do it .Its 2 hours round trip.. I don't like the way amsoil does business, with retail,dealer, wholesale, preferred,have to have account no.. this is all bullshit to me. They try to protect their reps, which is ok but I want to buy something at the best price and just have it sent to me... I still can't believe SMB didn't contact me about the eao26 filters. Were talking about a $20000.00 motor that Ford tries to look for any excuse not to warranty. Their are other filters that you can use and just buy them at the parts store.

I change my oil at 5000 miles(both filters) It's expensive,but if I ever have to fight with Ford it might help, I say might...

Did anyone see TwoLost drain plug picture? Thats a horror story.

Well my rant is over..

Jeff
Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #103

I installed the SMB / AMSOil bypass system myself in July 2005 at 10K miles when the front drive shaft u-joint crushed the stock filter & adapter on an extreme compression. (It didn't leak till it cooled down - whew!) I now have 32K miles on it, 4K on current filters. I've had 2 oil samples analyzed by Blackstone @ 17K and 26K and since I tend to high silicon readings (desert off-road?) I'm going stop using synthetics and incremental oil additions and just start using conventional oil and completely replace every 7.5K miles. The SMB block adapter I have is stamped for the oil direction which we now know is incorrect. I was planning to get at least 4K more on these filters and will accept the SMB assurance that engine operating specs are met. I also have a eao26 filter left to use up so this has been a very informative thread. So basically I have 22K miles of using restrictive filters with backwards oil flow on my van. I also have the filter housing sample drain cock installed and while not very impressive it has been trouble free and makes draining off samples very convenient.

What really hasn't been stated in all of this is the bypass filter performing any benefit in the reverse flow configuration?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
The SMB block adapter I have is stamped for the oil direction which we now know is incorrect.
PatO, since yours IS STAMPED, is it a 6.0 or a 7.3l diesel? According to the SMB website the problem is only with the 6.0. My block adapter IS NOT stamped with a flow direction. Perhaps you should place a call to SMB to ask them if the problem occurred with STAMPED block adapters. It might be that the only for sure way of telling is to do what John did in the original post. It's a pretty easy way to confirm the flow direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
I could not find any markings on the adapter block on the engine that indicated the direction of flow so I performed a very low tech test. I put a 5 gallon bucked under the two hoses and cranked the engine over a couple of times a looked to see which hose the oil was coming out of, sure enough it was the hose that had been hooked the output port on the filter head.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
The SMB block adapter I have is stamped for the oil direction which we now know is incorrect.
2004 E-Series is the first year 6.0. (I'm on my 3rd turbo how are you guys doing?) I received the SMB email announcement to swap the lines which caused me to check the Yahoo SMB group (x-member) which mentioned this site. As I recollect the block adaptor in the kit I got in 2005 is not an AMSOil adapter but one manufactured by SMB. One fitting on the adapter and one fitting on the bypass housing is colored coded red with paint as is one hose both ends to insure a "proper" hookup. This indicates to me the adaptor is designed wrong. It is clearly stamped with arrows and the words IN and OUT and is the reverse of the SMB new routing diagram. As installed my lines do not cross. SMB provided a very thorough self installation instruction.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #106
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
This indicates to me the adaptor is designed wrong.
Pat, are you saying the filter housing block is incorrect?

From what I've seen the filter housing block with arrows is correct. The adaptor block that SMB makes is the same as the AMSOIL block. The only difference between the two is SMB's version has smoother journals which allows for better oil travel. The problem as I see it is the lines that come into the adaptor block from the engine are reversed on the 6.0 as compared to the 7.3. I would think that the adaptor block should be made with the smoothest straightest journals as possible. I'm not saying that the diameter or flow could not be improved, but that would be something that needs to be engineered. Swapping the lines seems to be the simple solution. If SMB put arrows on the adaptor block then they would need to have a model specifically for the 6.0. Mine had arrows from a marking pen pointing opposite from each other which didn't indicate flow from the engine rather the direction of the journals. Being SMB didn’t know the direction change between the 6.0 and older 7.3 they missed that part. I could see where SMB would mark the adaptor block incorrectly if they sent the kit to you. Is this what happened to you or am I missing something?

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #107

Amsoil lines crossed fix problem.

Hello, Everyone. This is Jim, the Amsoil guy again. I am going to attempt to explain the questions you all are trying to get answered. First, the correct and ONLY filters to be used on SMB's is the Donaldson P553411 and the Eabp-100 bypass filter. The Eao-26 should not be used because it is a very restrictive filter. I have a 2007 Mustang GT with the same filter system on it that all of you have and I use the same filter numbers because they work better. Second, having the flow of oil reversed has not had a detrimental effect on the engines, but having the flow going the right way will make the system more efficient, especially if you remove the restictor because it will not open fully until the oil temp reaches 180 degrees. Because of the remote location of our system that will never happen. If anyone has any questions about our system, please call, or e-mail me at 714-390-7873, jcgreatestoil@msn.com or my website at
www.thegreatestoil.com. I would like everyone to be perfectly clear on all of this so we do not have problems in the future. Jim
Old 12-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #108
Site Team

Re: Amsoil lines crossed fix problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgreatoil
Hello, Everyone. This is Jim, the Amsoil guy again. I am going to attempt to explain the questions you all are trying to get answered. First, the correct and ONLY filters to be used on SMB's is the Donaldson P553411 and the Eabp-100 bypass filter. The Eao-26 should not be used because it is a very restrictive filter. I have a 2007 Mustang GT with the same filter system on it that all of you have and I use the same filter numbers because they work better. Second, having the flow of oil reversed has not had a detrimental effect on the engines, but having the flow going the right way will make the system more efficient, especially if you remove the restictor because it will not open fully until the oil temp reaches 180 degrees. Because of the remote location of our system that will never happen. If anyone has any questions about our system, please call, or e-mail me at 714-390-7873, jcgreatestoil@msn.com or my website at
www.thegreatestoil.com. I would like everyone to be perfectly clear on all of this so we do not have problems in the future. Jim
Jim,

Thanks again for clarifying things, but I have one more question. Is it Sportsmobile's position that the restrictor should be removed, or just Amsoil's? So far, Sportsmobile has been silent on the restrictor issue.

thanks,
Herb
Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #109

Amsoil crossed lines fix problem

Sportsmobile isn't sure what to do about the restrictor although years ago Heber said he started removing them and the units were warming up faster. I removed the one that was on my pickup at that time because it never warmed up except on hot days. After I removed the restrictor both filters stayed hot all the time. I called our Tech department about it last week and they said YES, remove the restrictor. They were (25 years ago) anticipating a problem that did not exist after all. The new units do not have restictors like the one in your unit. Amsoil and I are recommending that the restrictor be removed. Your unit will work much better without it.
Hope this answers your question. Jim
Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
This indicates to me the adaptor is designed wrong.
Pat, are you saying the filter housing block is incorrect? NO

From what I've seen the filter housing block with arrows is correct. The adaptor block that SMB makes is the same as the AMSOIL block. The only difference between the two is SMB's version has smoother journals which allows for better oil travel. The problem as I see it is the lines that come into the adaptor block from the engine are reversed on the 6.0 as compared to the 7.3. I would think that the adaptor block should be made with the smoothest straightest journals as possible. I'm not saying that the diameter or flow could not be improved, but that would be something that needs to be engineered. Swapping the lines seems to be the simple solution. If SMB put arrows on the adaptor block then they would need to have a model specifically for the 6.0. Mine had arrows from a marking pen pointing opposite from each other which didn't indicate flow from the engine rather the direction of the journals. Being SMB didn’t know the direction change between the 6.0 and older 7.3 they missed that part. I could see where SMB would mark the adaptor block incorrectly if they sent the kit to you. Is this what happened to you or am I missing something?

Dave
I said Block Adaptor. I perhaps should have simply said that it was stamped wrong for flow direction. I dug out my instructions. It is described as the Sportsmobile Adapter Block and it completely replaces the Ford canister assembly.

Interesting enough I drove about 50 miles of desert off road (5 hours worth, stop and go, deep sand, hills & mud) and then drove 90 miles home on Wednesday and both filters were only warm to touch when I checked immediately after stopping.