Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 AM   #21

Penthouse

Christopher ,
Is your Penthouse Top Electric or Manual lift ? I contacted Peter at Sportsmobile today and he said that the supports were primarily used for Manually operated Penthouses but informed that he would be happy to send me set if I so desired .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #22

I went with a manual top. I won't be carrying anything on top so I opted for manual. It works well and I'm happy not to have the extra equip. necessary to the electric tops. I'm old and short but don't seem to have any problem working it.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #23

Penthouse

Thank you Christopher , I am going to order a set as I want the additional rigidity for my top with the 10' custom rack .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
Daveb-
The Butler bags are so heavy-duty and thick and wide that if you parked on a side-hill with the bags in the penthouse roof, the whole SMB would probably fall over! (BUT, you'll be warm and cozy!) Storage down below, I imagine, is mandatory. We got the really HD bags, but if I were to do it again, I'd get the next grade down. They also cost about half again as much as a new house! (But they are cool!)
Bill
Thanks Bill. I don't need to turn over my rig but I did benchmark the site. I always keep a upper window slightly cracked (I like fresh air no matter how cold) but below 15 degrees it starts to get a little cool. If my Espar failed for whatever reason I might be in a jam. Some backup might be in order but I will probably throw in my Marmot mtm bag as an extra. Something that would squash down that has a good rating is what I'm looking for. Thanks...Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #25

For what it's worth, we use a couple of North Face Allegheny bags zipped together. One is rated at 40 degrees and the other at 20 degrees. When it's cold we put the 20 bag on top. When it's warmer the 40 is on top. We also sewed up a couple of sheets with velcro and put velcro in the bags so the sheets stay put.
When not in use, I fold the whole mess up in fourths and it all fits on top of the raiseable part of the penthouse. Pillows go in a stuff sack and behind the rear seat. Works for us.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #26

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me off the top of their heads how long the PH support poles are? Another way of asking, how high is the PH -- bed to ceiling?

I want to make some supports and I want to buy some insulating material to place all around the PH, but my SMB is parked over at my mother-in-law's so can't measure before I go to HD.

Tried searching through the SMBF but could not find this info.

Thanks!

Jim
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Since the support poles run at an angle. it does not sound like you really want their length.

Our top is up so I will go measure from the bed to the underside of the top....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Ours is 28 inches from the top of the bed cushion to the underside of the PHT.

(...and now I have to go figure out who took off with the tape measure that lives in the SMB..... and where it is ...)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #29

My support poles are 28" but with the swivel bracket and the plug on the bottom it is 28 3/4" from the top of the PH and where the bottom of the pole rests

outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #30

Thanks gang. I'm gonna make supports out of wood dowels (1"x4') and rubber endcaps. At Greggde's suggestion, I'm also gonna cut-to-fit a Reflectix wrap-around insulating sheet for the PH, kept in place by the supports and some industrial velcro. I am no DIY-master, so I expect it'll look pretty ghetto, but I'll try to fnd the time to post pics for your edification / amusement.
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote