Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #51

Garage
Re: Ford E-Series Van HID Projector Retrofit lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Installed....a few notes. On the 7.3 you'll want to remove the airbox and intake shroud to be able to route the wire loom to the drivers side, I also had to swap in the OEM clips as mentioned as a possibility with the included directions, the replacement clips left the headlights a little wobbly. They look pretty good, after adjusting I took a quick drive around the hood, will have to wait to see if I need to make some minor adjustments after getting out on the road, they do have a definite cut off, will see if I get flashed.....
Before-

After-

Looks great REF! The adjusters that come on the lights leave a little to be desired, but swapping them for the originals is a piece of cake and makes them fit just like the OEM units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
REF
What did you do to the turn signals?
The before and after look dramatically different. What else did you do?
Pretty Bad, Dude...
The turn signals are provided as part of the light kit. It should be noted that some of the 03-up vans will need colored 3157 marker bulbs since the stocks are likely clear (untinted bulbs). I just swapped mine over to switchback led units and they look great. With the running lights on they are white, but when the turn signals come on they flash amber. It's an easy upgrade. You also need to change out the flasher relay, but that is very easy as well. I can elaborate on this and offer it as part of the light kit if people are interested.

Scott

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL

The turn signals are provided as part of the light kit. It should be noted that some of the 03-up vans will need colored 3157 marker bulbs since the stocks are likely clear (untinted bulbs). I just swapped mine over to switchback led units and they look great. With the running lights on they are white, but when the turn signals come on they flash amber. It's an easy upgrade. You also need to change out the flasher relay, but that is very easy as well. I can elaborate on this and offer it as part of the light kit if people are interested.

Scott
Yes Please.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #53

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdadmorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL

Scott
Yes Please.
The dual color switchback bulbs can be purchased cheap through ebay, but I would get them from superbrightleds.com. The link for the bulbs is below

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... b/Overview

Switchback led setup:
These bulbs are bright white when the running lights are one and switch to amber when the turn signal or hazards are turned on. With these bulbs you will need to either run resistors or a dedicated LED flasher relay. The resistors work great, but require a little more work to mount since they dissipate a lot of heat. The flasher is easy to replace and works great. The OEM number on the flasher from my 02 E350 V10 is F2UB-133650-AB. The cross reference charts on the SBL website do not list this part number, but I checked the pinout with my volt meter and it reads (with the three tabs facing you, top one horizontal) 12v, load, ground.

link to the resistors (you need one per led bulb, 2 total)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... t/190/831/

link to the flasher relay (note this works on my van, not sure about fitment on all vans)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... r/783/837/

Scott
Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #54

Thanks Scott!
I may order a set up, I would probably order the relay over resistors. with the relay what happens to the rear turns signal, need led there as well?

Thanks
Morgan
Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #55

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdadmorgan
Thanks Scott!
I may order a set up, I would probably order the relay over resistors. with the relay what happens to the rear turns signal, need led there as well?

Thanks
Morgan
Rears remain unaffected by the led flashers. The flashers will also work if you need to reinstall the halogen bulbs.

Scott
Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #56

Garage

I have been building these lights steadily for the last few weeks and have some updates. I am now offering a halo ring option that can be added to any of the light build combinations. They are unbelievably bright and offer the distinctive halo look for those interested. I also installed a set of the black housing lights on a super clean SMB courtesy of a local customer. We both agreed it made a huge difference to the looks and function of the vehicle.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20150401_193106.jpg   20150401_163611.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 03:25 AM   #57
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I've been watching this thread with great interest, love the photos of how the modified lights look installed.

It would be of higher interest to show lighting patterns at night before and after. Not being snarky but upgrading headlights for me is a matter of how well or better they work over stock, appearance during the day time not too much a concern.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #58

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I've been watching this thread with great interest, love the photos of how the modified lights look installed.

It would be of higher interest to show lighting patterns at night before and after. Not being snarky but upgrading headlights for me is a matter of how well or better they work over stock, appearance during the day time not too much a concern.
JWA-

Could you post a pic of the output from your stock lights? I don't have the before shots since I modified mine the second I got my van. The stock lighting was terrible and people in my van kept asking if my lights were on.

Scott
Old 04-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #59
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Red I will try to get one---mind you I'm currently running the sealed beam stock headlights on my '03 E250.

At times while driving at night I also wonder if my lights are on.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #60

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Red I will try to get one---mind you I'm currently running the sealed beam stock headlights on my '03 E250.

At times while driving at night I also wonder if my lights are on.
JWA,

That would be great! I took a ride in my buddy's 09 E350 with the sealed beam lights and it was really bad. My led bicycle light put it to shame! The halogen lights are a definite upgrade from those, but the projectors with the HID are night and day different.

Scott