Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2023, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
My biggest issue right now is any experience to confidently make the decision on the Air conditioning.

I just compared the noise spec for the 120VAC AirCon vs a 12VDC AirCon. Two 12V units claimed 22 and 28 db noise levels whereas the Recon below is listed at 65 db .

Note a 40 db difference is 1000 times the noise level on a linear scale. If this is true the 12V units are going to whisper quiet compared to the 120VAC units. It is not really a comparison.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Condit...0B237WDG3?th=1

If you figure to run a loud generator anyway, then maybe a loud compressor doesn't matter in the scheme of things. But if you want to sleep at night off shore power or battery power, then the 12/24VDC seems to be the way to go. Not sure why there is much to debate.

posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:02 AM   #12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
I just compared the noise spec for the 120VAC AirCon vs a 12VDC AirCon. Two 12V units claimed 22 and 28 db noise levels whereas the Recon below is listed at 65 db .

Note a 40 db difference is 1000 times the noise level on a linear scale. If this is true the 12V units are going to whisper quiet compared to the 120VAC units. It is not really a comparison.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Condit...0B237WDG3?th=1

If you figure to run a loud generator anyway, then maybe a loud compressor doesn't matter in the scheme of things. But if you want to sleep at night off shore power or battery power, then the 12/24VDC seems to be the way to go. Not sure why there is much to debate.
Just trying to uncover as much as possible...don't know what i don't know...I get tired of being disappointed by some functionality or lack of that is never told in spec sheets or general research but found out after you spend $thousands. I'm headed over to a distributor of it today, we'll see what I learn. Hopefully they have a functioning unit and a knowledgeable person. 22-28 db is highly unlikely, not to mention ambient db will be lucky to be 50ish
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Just trying to uncover as much as possible...don't know what i don't know...I get tired of being disappointed by some functionality or lack of that is never told in spec sheets or general research but found out after you spend $thousands. I'm headed over to a distributor of it today, we'll see what I learn. Hopefully they have a functioning unit and a knowledgeable person. 22-28 db is highly unlikely, not to mention ambient db will be lucky to be 50ish
If you can find a working demo that is always best.

Please confirm whether or not this is the new variable frequency scroll type compressor.

Here is a video doing a review of various 12VDC AirCons. The US name-branded ones are double ($1600 to $4300) the Chinese offerings and they probably come from the same place.

Based on specs, this is going to be more efficient than the 120VAC units and with the inverter you have you will not be suffering an (12V to 120VAC conversion loss). So you could be up to 30% ahead of the game with the 12VDC units in terms of battery Amp-hr utilization efficiency. If the units have an actual "low" mode and can 1/2 the current draw then they are potentially even more efficient. You might consider taking a kilowatt meter to measure the AC draw (if that is the source) or a DC Current Amp. They are not too expensive if you don't have one.

So based on noise level and efficiency, the 12VDC unit (on paper) is a no-brainer.

The benefit of the Chinese units is that there are multiple vendors and even manufacturers of very similar if not the same basic unit. It would appear as if there was government support to produce a highly efficient unit that multiple manufacturers produce. In the US you would tend to have much more diversity until the marketplace gets very mature.

Of course, dropping $1300 for one warrants all due diligence.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:12 PM   #14

Here is another Treeligo unit rated at 15000 BTU 30-70 amps 3 speeds with variable frequency (does not mention scroll type) compressor only $850 .

Prices are obviously all over the map. I just heard on a related topic, that a dual zone mini split costs about $2100 at the local Home Depot but 5 hours below the border in Mexico they are about $500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39450683160...Cclp%3A2047675
Old 04-20-2023, 09:56 AM   #15

I'm just not a fan of adding these to the roof. I'd much rather do a split system and hang the condenser somewhere out of the way. The issue is that anywhere under the van is going to plug up the coil with mud/dirt/etc. Been thinking about hanging one on the back of the high top, open to any other creative ideas too though.

Also pretty wild that some of these in this price bracket seem to be heat pumps too. Neat stuff.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I'm just not a fan of adding these to the roof. I'd much rather do a split system and hang the condenser somewhere out of the way.
I agree with a Class C proper RV especially if you have a rear bedroom suite. You also have a lot more room for boosting solar to 600+ watts. On the other hand, in a van, separating the condenser from the head units just seems to take up too much room. Adding 75 lbs to the roof is not my favorite thing either, but it would seem to take up the least real estate in a space-challenged van application.

I have a raised fiberglass top with a 1"x3" steel support structure also including a reinforcement around the 14"x14" rear opening. So the weight is not much concern for me. In my mind, this is much better than drip rail-mounted racks and some type of oversized rooftop carrier.

Of course, rooftop air on a pop-to would not work very well, and the mini-split might be a better option. There are 12VDC A/C units that are separated (as a mini-split) and usually even cheaper than the integrated rooftop units

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255133990729
Old 04-20-2023, 10:56 AM   #17

I missed the part where they are 75 lbs. That's definitely a no go on top of an already high roof.

I bet you could do a hinged sealed box somewhere bolted to the frame/underbody. Pop open the hinge when it's running, close it when it's not. Add some rubber or spring isolators, and away you go.

Hmmm, this might be viable. And unlike the handheld ones that seem to be meant for tents, it'd actually provide cooling.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I missed the part where they are 75 lbs. That's definitely a no go on top of an already high roof.
I was doing a quick comparison of specs of 120VAC vs 12VDC AirCon units in the 13500 BTU range and they all seemed to be about 75 lbs.

If you are running oversized tires and have moved the spare to the rear bumper you do have quite a bit of space to play with.

There is another member here that did a Chinese Aircon where he mounted the condenser unit underneath so it has been done. I don't think he enclosed the unit but may not be doing too much off-road mudding either.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ner-30418.html
Old 04-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
Here is another Treeligo unit rated at 15000 BTU 30-70 amps 3 speeds with variable frequency (does not mention scroll type) compressor only $850 .

Prices are obviously all over the map. I just heard on a related topic, that a dual zone mini split costs about $2100 at the local Home Depot but 5 hours below the border in Mexico they are about $500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39450683160...Cclp%3A2047675

The add lists this unit to have a height of only 6.25" (159mm). Some of the pictures show an additional gap so there may be a couple more inches.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l500_Rooftop_AC_12dc.jpg  
Old 04-20-2023, 02:12 PM   #20

My condenser is on the bottom of the van, and I've never had issues with it getting plugged up with dirt. True, I don't drive through deep mud, but I don't shy away from dirt roads either.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote