Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2024, 02:59 PM   #21

Glad you got it working. Guessing the relay is Sportsmobile's version of this switch below, which they would have to DIY because the override switch does not work with two controllers. Otherwise you would need two switches or a custom harness.

https://realtruck.com/p/amp-research...erride-switch/

I can see where on a camper van it would be super handy to have an override switch to keep the steps down all the time (if you are in and out all the time) or up all the time (if you are working near the door opening and do not want the running boards in the way.

Being able to use the AMP override switch would be a big enough of a motivation to pull out all the janky Sportsmobile wiring and run a single controller assuming you can get the wiring harness.

Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:34 PM   #22

The Amp Override Switch ends up being somewhat useless, Note: Running Boards will return to Auto Operation in the next door cycle after 30 minutes. Had I realized this before installing I would probably not even bothered, or at least chose a different location.

I have pulled the fuse when working under my Transit (running cable, tank installs , etc.)

I agree the whole dual controller thing seems kind of janky, but it's working
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:09 PM   #23

I've seen that AMP brand override switch, but I wasn't aware that it returns to auto operation in the next door cycle after 30 minutes. I guess that's a good thing if you would be prone to forgetting they were extended when you drive off (like I likely would sooner or later). Otherwise I guess switch I have which keeps them either out or in depending on their location when the switch is thrown would be better for use like you were hoping for Greg.

I've never used my switch on purpose in the last 6 years since I didn't know what it did, so it's unlikely I will use it now, except in the case of crawling under the van to work on it.

I'm going to stick with the "janky" dual controller system as long as it keeps working. If it causes problems, I'd consider switching to the single controller setup, if I can get the wiring harness they designed for that purpose. Getting a custom harness just seems like a recipe for creating a potentially new janky system with no documentation to support it.

In the end, I'm glad this whole needless foray into the running board system only cost me $4 (for the new relay I didn't need). Of course the many hours I(and you guys too) put in trying to figure it out are another thing. But at least my time comes cheap and the work was, in a way, an o.k. trade for understanding the system for potential future issues. Always good to learn something new.
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:14 AM   #24

I had a similar problem with the same year van, built out by Sportsmobile in Texas. The problem turned out to be a loose connection where the step wiring is connected to the vehicle wiring. This loose connection also resulted in the vehicle battery not charging, getting stranded alongside a highway, being towed 200 miles to an MB shop. While you might have a different problem, it seems that your trouble shooting has not solved the problem, so chase the step wiring and check connections.
KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:31 AM   #25

Amp Research Sportsmobile

I have a 2016 144 4x4 sportsmobile by Fresno. I have the power steps installed by Sportsmobile. In the first year I had a problem with the Amp Research Power Steps. I called Amp Research and they were not aware their product was being installed on the Sprinter. I was told they were working on a setup but not available yet.

I called Peter at Sportsmobile and he informed me that there was a batch of defective controllers that had been installed and needed replacing. I made an appointment to have it corrected and have had no further problem.

What I learned was, sportsmobile was using two separate kits and modifying the one for the driverside, which is the short step. Again Amp Research had no info this was being done in the field. Amp Research recently did develop a system that installs through the OBD Port.

As for the switch on the dash. This was installed as an override for when you are camping. The switch will leave the steps in their last know state up/down. I find this very useful when camping. There are times you open and close the doors and this allows you to leave the step in the down position, preventing it always operating.

I hope this little info helps!

Sam
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:49 PM   #26

KenInRockwall,

These posts are all kind of jumbled and it appears you didn't see my post where I in fact solved my problem which wasn't a problem with the system at all, just my ignorance due to not have been instructed properly when I picked up the van back in 2018.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:54 PM   #27

Sam,

Thanks for that backstory, it explains a lot, in particularly the use of two controllers (and probably why the relay is there as well). Too bad the tech I talked to at AMP Research wasn't aware of the history there, and that Peter didn't tell me the story when I emailed him. They could both have saved me a lot of head scratching on this.

As I've mentioned before, I can see the utility of the switch while camping or working underneath the van. Although I've gotten along fine with knowing I had that option, who knows, maybe I can retrain myself to use it when needed--and figure out a way to remember the switch is flipped so I don't drive around with the running boards unknowingly deployed!
Old 03-28-2024, 01:33 PM   #28

Amp Research

The switch on the dash should have a green led when it is activated.

The only down side to activating the switch is driving off and leaving the steps in the down position. I've walked mine on a Yuka tree in the desert. No damage structurally but I did loose an end cap.

Sam
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:58 PM   #29

Yes, once I found the use for the switch, I figured out the green line was on when the system is off, which sounds backwards to me but it's likely because of the way the switch and relay interact. That light's not too useful in the daytime though as it's not bright enough to overcome much light, e.g. sunlight.

What happened to you with driving with the running boards down is one reason I'll likely avoid using mine. I'm the most undependable part of the van setup.

Tags
amp powerstep, electrical problem, running board