Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #1

Awning Suggestions - ARB VS Fiamma VS Bat wing (270)?

Has anyone tried a 270 awning on a Van Conversion? Is Fiamma worth the extra money vs ARB for the extra setup time and additional moving parts?

Wiseone.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:32 PM   #2

The Search button is your friend.......

Here's one...

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ons-31934.html

There were many more hits using search....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #3

I probably clarified that I was interested in seeing if anyone did a 270 with a pop top van, I have only seen these mounted off of Roof Racks, which is not possible with a poptop roof obviously. I wanted to use the Z brackets if possible as they are the cleanest and require no through bolts, but not sure it these 270 awning are too large for that type of braket system. I may be limited to a Fiamma or an ARB. Also most posts on this topic are close to 10 years old (with 2 within last 2 years) and the tech advances quickly, so a search did not provide much help.
Wiseone.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:30 PM   #4

Garage
you may fine value in these threads:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ngs-31752.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-26934.html

Most importantly (IMHO) the Fiamma is a one person task that takes about 1 minute to deploy & pack-up.
The real concern for any awning is 'wind'. Personally, if I we have any doubts about weather at a point we plan on leaving the Van unattended for any length of time I just put it away (again, 1 minutes doesn't qualify as a burden to accomplish this).
When we do secure it, I feel confident it will be fine; I use two trampoline anchor ground screws (2 for each pole - and I carry a cordless impact driver so takes no time to insert them), in addition I also have a 48qt cooler that we place on the ground between the two poles (remains filled with beverages, ice, and about 1/2 full of ice cold water...easily upwards of 70lbs) which I run two heavy duty rubber bungee cords from the cooler to the top of each pole...we hang the bungee's down from the top of the feet, and only hook to the cooler when wind picks up. Works great! Another benefit is it conveniently serves as a table.

The Trampoline strap wraps around the base of the Fiamma foot with a separate ground screw going through each end:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D9XBMDL...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

I use 2 polyurethane adjustable bungies on each side of the cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Bunge...99&sr=8-5&th=1
Old 03-28-2024, 06:48 PM   #5

You've not specified which Fiamma awning (other than your comments about the 270degree), although your second post seems to indicate you're interested in the comparison between the ARB and the Fiamma standard awnings (again, which model?).

The 2004 E-350 super duty I bought last year (not SMB, DIY with Quigley and hightop) had a Fiamma F35 Pro. Here's my comments on that model: The F35 pro is very heavy. For a single person to deploy or stow it is very difficult. Part of this is due to the height of my van compared to my height. I need a small ladder just to open the case. but even if I had no lift and it was mounted to the drip rails I would not be satisfied with it as it is not single person friendly in its operation. I've heard that the F45 is a much better awning and more friendly in its operation. I have no knowledge of the ARB.
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:18 PM   #6

I had a manual awning by carefree, probably similar to the F35 and ARB.
I almost never used it. I would have to be stationary for over 24 hours to justify putting it out. And it it a 2 person job and best mounted low enough that you can reach it standing on the ground.

I then stumbled into an F45. It's so much better! I'll put it out when we're stopped for a snack, it only takes a couple minutes to deploy or stow, including the supports.

I have no experience with the 270 'batwing' style, though they do look interesting. A little more to deploy than the F45, but alot less than the ARB. Some are designed to be 'freestanding' in low/no wind conditions, thats pretty cool.

I already have a F45 for my current build, but I was thinking of adding something like an OVS 180 Lite over the back doors, to also butt up to the fiamma if both are deployed. The addition of a shower/privacy curtain would make a nice area for an outdoor shower or?
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
270, arb, awning, fiamma