Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #11

I salvaged my high top from a pick and pull with the help for another forum member for $50 USD. It took a day to remove it and another day to install it, to give you an idea my van was practically brand new when I got it in 2018 (2004 with less than 30K, garage kept). Let me tell you there was a lot of hesitation to cut a perfectly good roof open.......but 24/7 standing room is priceless.

You also mentioned you might be towing, this could be challenging with the 4.6 if your are going around hilly areas with a heavier than average van. I don't tow and it struggles up hills with my 5.4, I live in mountain country though. While I am faster than a semi that I can over take, I'm always still in the slow lane with the trucks.

I would try doing a dry run with your van, load it up with whatever you think you need. Maybe add some ballast for things you plan for, hook up that trailer and go scooting around and see how the van performs.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #12

Cyrull brings up some valid points. An E150 may be a poor candidate for a 4wd conversion due to the limited carrying capacity, thinner less rigid frame members, and the smaller engine will struggle more when towing or in the mountains. Additionally, when in mud or sand, you will feel the lack of horsepower quickly. If it were me, I'd upgrade to a 250 or 350 with a 5.4 or bigger engine.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:51 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguy View Post
Hi everyone! Just joined the forum and introduced myself in the welcome forum. I recently purchased a 2014 E150 cargo van with the 4.6 flex fuel engine and sliding side door.
Not sure you have an actual 2014 as the full bodied E-Series stopped manufacture with model year 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I think the biggest limiting factors is your GVWR and Engine. I think if you do a conversion and maybe add a pop top or high top you will be maxed out. This doesn't include hauling anything inside, including people. The 4.6 is going struggle more vs say the more common 5.4/6.0 Engines as well.
I would agree with this ^^ 100%. That engine just doesn't have enough power to work too close to the E150's supposed GVCW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Cyrull brings up some valid points. An E150 may be a poor candidate for a 4wd conversion due to the limited carrying capacity, thinner less rigid frame members, and the smaller engine will struggle more when towing or in the mountains. Additionally, when in mud or sand, you will feel the lack of horsepower quickly. If it were me, I'd upgrade to a 250 or 350 with a 5.4 or bigger engine.
I believe the E150's morphed into E250's sometime into the middle 2000's. The frames and most other running gear would be more akin to the E250's and theoretically which would be good for a conversion but in Vanguy's instance his engine is the true limiting factor.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #14

Agreed with JWA.

It would be a real bummer to invest in this van and then always be lacking in power. A tuned 5.4l will get the job done. V10's are amazing but maybe overkill for your situation living in flat land and driving daily.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #15

Thanks guys. I can say that I have had this thing pretty well loaded down with a trailer and it did do amazingly well coming into the Ozarks. If I do decide to go west into the Rocky's that could be a different story though.
Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #16

I guess my biggest delima is do I put the time and money to do whatever it takes to be what I really want and can know exactly what I have? Or do I just sell this thing now while it's as valuable as it's ever going to be and look for something that's allready put together more like what I'm looking for. The hard part could be finding exactly what I'm looking for.

If I could buy what my ideal van would be, it would be either an E250 or E350 cargo van with power windows and door locks, with either a 5.4 or 7.3, an Agile TTB or a 4 link solid front axle like I ve seen on the Timberline vans sitting on 33's. The body would be a standard length, not extended, and the interior would have a carpeted wood floor wall to wall with compartments on both sides at wheelwell height and width for batteries and electronics that could except panels to make a bed if needed or could just use an air mattress. Very minimalist but nicely finished. Would be nice to have a small water tank or two. Would not have to be that Spartan but not really trying to make a small RV either.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #17

And some bumpers, a winch, roof rack, solar panel, and maybe a sink....
Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #18

And a small fridge... Lol..
Old 05-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I think the biggest limiting factors is your GVWR and Engine... The 4.6 is going struggle more vs say the more common 5.4/6.0 Engines as well.
As the owner of a bone-stock '97 5.4 (So, 235 HP instead of ~260), also on the "light side" (Just 4wd, RB, CW interior), the V8 is enough to get by, but when loaded and pushing north of 80 indicated (Probably closer to 90, there's a whole lot of 'nothing' in north Nevada), the 5.4L really could use a bit of a helping hand. I would hate to think about how hard one would need to flog a 4.6 in a 4x4 E250 @80.

I'd skip over the 6L Diesel if money is a concern.

My vote: E350 with the 5.4L as an absolute minimum. Preferably the 6.8L. If diesel is an absolute must, I'd find a babied 7.3 (And, good luck. Most of these vans are already 20 years old, and the whole #VanLife movement has made these cost 2-5X what any sane person would want to pay...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguy View Post
I guess my biggest delima is do I put the time and money to do whatever it takes to be what I really want and can know exactly what I have? Or do I just sell this thing now while it's as valuable as it's ever going to be and look for something that's allready put together more like what I'm looking for. The hard part could be finding exactly what I'm looking for.

If I could buy what my ideal van would be, it would be either an E250 or E350 cargo van with power windows and door locks, with either a 5.4 or 7.3, an Agile TTB or a 4 link solid front axle like I ve seen on the Timberline vans sitting on 33's. The body would be a standard length, not extended, and the interior would have a carpeted wood floor wall to wall with compartments on both sides at wheelwell height and width for batteries and electronics that could except panels to make a bed if needed or could just use an air mattress. Very minimalist but nicely finished. Would be nice to have a small water tank or two. Would not have to be that Spartan but not really trying to make a small RV either.
Regarding your personal finances, I don't think any of us can really say for certain what your personal "right answer" is.

While I cannot answer your question for you, here are the thought questions I'd ask you-

Do you foresee the E-150 being 'enough' for what you want to do in the future?
Do you foresee your future wishes changing (If so, how? Need more capacity? downsizing?)
In the event that you think the E-150 meets your needs, and your future wishes will not be changing, how comfortable are you dumping $$$$ into an E-150 that you would later have to sell/trade for something that would meet your needs? (I would point out that E-150 aftermarket values are (imo...) nowhere near as strong as E-250(better) or E-350(best) aftermarket values, and whatever monies you dump into the E-150, they will certainly 'take a hit' and not be worth what you paid for them 10 years later unless you can transfer them from one van to the other).

I don't know how much you can spend or if this is a build in progress, but:
I'd go for an E-350 (All engine options...), E-250 at a minimum.
If this is a "commute" vehicle, I would go for the 5.4. If this is a camping/hauling, 6.8 V10. I wouldn't fuss with a diesel, unless someone was giving it away. Even then I'd probably have to think about it.
2005+ mimimum (transmissions, power bumps). 2008 for front end. 2009 for interior.

I'd use SearchTempest or other drag-net to comb online postings.

My $0.02.

Edit- Not too long ago I found a 2011 E-350 5.4L with like 65K miles for $8700. They can be had for "cheap", but you have to be patient and ready to pounce on any deals passing by. They sure don't last long. If you have a WTB thread, there's quite a few people around here who don't mind spending other peoples monies.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #20

Thank you.