Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Did I biy the wrong van?

Hi everyone! Just joined the forum and introduced myself in the welcome forum. I recently purchased a 2014 E150 cargo van with the 4.6 flex fuel engine and sliding side door. I bought it to move from FL to SW Arkansas and with hopes of doing a 4x4 conversion and modest interior build but may have to settle for a 2wd lift due to budget restraints.

My first question is should I invest in the van I allready have or look for a 3D E250 or E350 that's allready been converted? It will be a daily driver so I'm planning on keeping it as light as possible. I will probably use it to tow a small enclosed trailer with up to 2 street (sport) bikes and do some camping at what would mostly be sites with facilities. It would be nice to have a portable shower. Not looking to do a full RV build, just a place to sleep if necessary. Could even be as simple as finished walls with some insulation, some small compartments for storage, a couple batteries and electronics, roof rack with solar panel, a carpeted open floor and an air mattress.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the van did driving through the hilly terrain of of NW Arkansas with the van loaded down and pulling a 5x8 enclosed trailer loaded to max capacity. Overdrive was pretty much useless once we got into the hills and kicked all the way down to 2nd a couple times but it did do the job without slowing down too much or feeling too taxed. I'm sure I could get a little more from the little 4.6 with some tuning and a gearing change.

The van is in excellent shape but does have some miles on it at just over 180,000. It was a GE service vehicle so I'm assuming it was well maintained. I'm kinda torn on what to do. At least if I invest in this van I know what I have. Buying anything used can allways be a gamble unless it's super low miles or freshly built. So what do you guys think? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote